346xp potential

stihlmadasever

Anyone thinking about "skip" or "semi-skip" chain should really visit the Madsens saw shop site and have a little read up on skip chain. It only really starts to work on bars 28" and over, although Rob D now sells a extreme skip for milling ( looks like it got a deal for bulk tooth removal at the local dentist !!) which works very well but I assume it is how its cutting i.e. with the grain.

I did try some semi c on a zipped 390 XP on a 30" and it was not great as it felt like I was holding the saw back with a dull chain. 

I had very bad problems some years ago with my elbows ( two days on a trolley in A&E with IV) and was told to find another job as I wouldnt climb again full time...it took about a year to get back on form and I dont climb unless its the only way  ! I take a supplement " Revive" which has helped a great deal with my joints including the right hand which has bad knuckles from years of "only jessies use decomp !" saw starting.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 23:29, outinthewood said:

Anyone thinking about "skip" or "semi-skip" chain should really visit the Madsens saw shop site and have a little read up on skip chain. It only really starts to work on bars 28" and over, although Rob D now sells a extreme skip for milling ( looks like it got a deal for bulk tooth removal at the local dentist !!) which works very well but I assume it is how its cutting i.e. with the grain.

I did try some semi c on a zipped 390 XP on a 30" and it was not great as it felt like I was holding the saw back with a dull chain. 

I had very bad problems some years ago with my elbows ( two days on a trolley in A&E with IV) and was told to find another job as I wouldnt climb again full time...it took about a year to get back on form and I dont climb unless its the only way  ! I take a supplement " Revive" which has helped a great deal with my joints including the right hand which has bad knuckles from years of "only jessies use decomp !" saw starting.

Thats fine, but most here are in Europe so shipping and import duty adds to the cost, unless the UK becomes the 51st or is it 52nd state after 2019!

Lot of info on that site.

Yes, Rob D has full skip .404 and 3/8th in .063 & .058 guage

Edited by NFG

NFG if you re-read my post you will see I am suggesting that anyone interested in skip/semi skip chain vist Madsens site and read up on application of such chain not order ! It is a very comprehensive read. We all know Rob stocks skip etc. As I am in Europe ( and will be after '19) I am very aware of what it costs to get gear from US/CDN suppliers although if it's the only way to get the gear you want in my case my saws then you just have to put up with it, here we can get 150 euro of goods before tax and USPS is far more affordable than our post i.e. a 372 XP will cost $110 from Oregon via airmail which I don't think is bad value ? 

I have a 346xp that was ported by Spud that runs 13” bar, 8 pin with Stihl micro chisel chain, it is fantastic.

I run it alongside a 550xp with 15 bar when cutting Sweetchestnut coppice.

The 346 has an insane pick up and bogs down less when lowering the stumps with the guidebar buried.

Wanted the smallest saws I could that will deliver decent power due to the amount of movement required when cutting fencing products and working on inclines.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

How tired must a 346xp be before it is unspudable?

I'd love to get my old one revamped but it has already had two re-bores and has done a phenomenal amount of work.

I did do a new crank in one before, expensive but the owner was happy. Just depends on how much you want to spend and the condition of the bottom end. The Nikasil bore plating is amazingly hard!