Ported chainsaws.

lux

Thinking of having some of my saws ported. How have those of you that have had this done found them. Was it a worth while exercise?

There are a wealth you YouTube clips from the yanks with heavily ported saws and increased air filters etc that really seem to make saws fly.

Porting in the uk doesn't seem to be taken as far or am I wrong. ?

I have a few candidates in the tool box I'd like ported. More for fun than anything else.

List the saws you are thinking about having done and am sure some of my customers and others will advise with what they think.

In short, ported saws are not for your employees as the H&S exec may take a dim view if you as an employer, give an employee a ported saw as a work saw if an accident happens. In reality, you tend to use a saw a size down to do the same work so your body takes less of a beating in doing the same work so a MS201/200 is replaced by a MS150, a 346XP replaces a 357XP etc it isn't quite that black and white but is the US basis of porting where MS460s did the work of the MS660 in forestry work!

In safe hands, they are just as safe as a normal saw and many saws I have had to port have had missing chain catchers or faulty/filthy chain brake mechanisms so is porting that unsafe???

I find most customers for ported saws are contractors, self employed or in forestry work liking the extra performance to avoid splitting/fractures in the cut and higher productivity.

Ported saws create more noise and use more fuel but are a lot of fun to use if used using due care and attention as per your training.

• Like 6

My saws are ported  ( spud did them ) and I have to say it is well worth it .  They are ultra reliable , more efficient and just as safe , or even more so , than a standard  saw .  If you need to chase that cut on the hurry up etc etc .........

3 hours ago, spudulike said:

In safe hands, they are just as safe as a normal saw and many saws I have had to port have had missing chain catchers or faulty/filthy chain brake mechanisms so is porting that unsafe???

What are emissions like on ported saws? It's another aspect to safety that I presume porting bypasses. 

4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

What are emissions like on ported saws? It's another aspect to safety that I presume porting bypasses. 

I doubt anyone's actually measured it. They use more fuel but cut more efficiently. I doubt it makes much difference when you drive and tow a big diesel to site and then start destroying the ecosystem...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I doubt anyone's actually measured it. They use more fuel but cut more efficiently. I doubt it makes much difference when you drive and tow a big diesel to site and then start destroying the ecosystem...

Yes but you dont stand right by the exhaust pipe and vehicles have much more stringent emissions rules than saws as far as I can tell. If there was no drawback to porting surly manufacturers would make the adaptions as standard? 

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Yes but you dont stand right by the exhaust pipe and vehicles have much more stringent emissions rules than saws as far as I can tell. If there was no drawback to porting surly manufacturers would make the adaptions as standard? 

The draw back is in production costs . Tighter tolerances , extra work . Mass produced parts can never match up to hand worked parts what ever the subject be it cars , boats , saws etc etc . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The draw back is in production costs . Tighter tolerances , extra work . Mass produced parts can never match up to hand worked parts what ever the subject be it cars , boats , saws etc etc . 

You saying spud and others can achieve more precision in a small workshop than factories with masses of CNC kit?

No disrespect ment to to spud as he can clearly get more oomf from a saw.