Advice on fallen Cornus kousa please!

Treeation

On 1/2/2018 at 17:03, Gary Prentice said:

The soil looks pretty heavy, I wonder if a high water table and anaerobic conditions have killed the root which has then succumbed to colonisation? 

Its not the advisors job job to decide though, only to advise and give opinions. I’d personally discuss the concerns that the colonisation will probably lead to death, but if there’s a lot of emotional attachment to the tree, give it a go. I wouldn’t recommend underground guying due to cost and the integrity of the root plate. Improve the rooting environment with woodchip as much as possible and see what happens. 

No guarantees, a couple of hours work but let the client accept the risk of failure.

just my two pence worth

Thanks Gary....sounds like good level headed advice...I let them know that the chances of survival were probably 30% in the long term...will see what they come back with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, ended up resurecting the fallen Cornus kousa last week so thought I share what I did - nice project to do and made a change to be trying to save a tree for once!

1. Cleared around base of root plate and widened hole to make sure the root plate sat true once pulled back over. Forked sides of pit, added thin layer of compost at the sides of pit to encourage spreading root development.

2. Winched stem back into position using craning strop around stem and tirfor winch.

3. Opted out of using cross bar as I didnt think it would be man enough to handle the slight lean and large sail area. Minor pruning on crown to reduce lever arm and remove any damaged branches.

4. Found a chunky prop and dug it in to ground placing flat stones under enough the foot of prop to keep solid (propped perpendicular to weight. Tamped sides to stop side to side movement. Used a rubber spacer block in between tree and prop to add a bit of a cushion.

5. Decided to go belts and braces so drove 2 6 ft stakes in about half way in front of the tree. Attached mild steel wire to stakes and slings placed up in the crown break of tree. Tightened up by hand using fencing tools..

6. Recommended mulching tree to client to a depth of 100mm upto drip line if possible.

7. Advised client that we should monitor tree health and position with the possibility of removing support in 2 years or replacing prop in 2 years depending on the tree's development.

Feel free to tell me if you would of done anything differently....this was the first time I have done anything like this!

5a5a3e40181aa_kousa1.thumb.jpg.44716517a3a2a8d0ef773cce851348ce.jpg5a5a3e384fd0b_kousa2.thumb.jpg.3acabfa0d79c1aa682a853ea66afb098.jpg

kousa 3.jpg

kousa 4.jpg

kousa 6.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job - well done.  Personally I'd have pruned considerably more on the downhill side - Cornus will take it, no problem.  There's still a lot of crown for the damaged root system to supply with sugars come the spring.

If these words provide any food for thought my preference would be to thin the crown rather than reduce it; you'll get a better looking and more Cornus-like end product.

But should the tree fail no-one can say it wasn't given a good chance.

2 hours ago, nepia said:

Nice job - well done.  Personally I'd have pruned considerably more on the downhill side - Cornus will take it, no problem.  There's still a lot of crown for the damaged root system to supply with sugars come the spring.

If these words provide any food for thought my preference would be to thin the crown rather than reduce it; you'll get a better looking and more Cornus-like end product.

But should the tree fail no-one can say it wasn't given a good chance.

Thanks that sounds useful, never pruned one of these before so thanks for the advice!

Refreshing to see customer and client both willing to shun the obvious 'firewood' advice.

That looks like it could be quite a soggy site, and that ight account for the rotted roots, which in turn would account for the failure.

I'd have been tempted to reduce or thin its crown very severely, as it has possibly lost 3/4 of its rooting and most of its natural support. If it survives at full height you might never wean it off its new artificial support.

On 1/13/2018 at 21:34, Treeation said:

Thanks that sounds useful, never pruned one of these before so thanks for the advice!

Now you've had some practice, do you care to have a go at mine?  The stem is a bit short of metre through and the root plate stands about 9ft high. :ahhhhh:

And we can't get a crane in:angry:

oak.jpg

oak 2.jpg

Edited by Gary Prentice