Judi Dench

Shaunpaul

I enjoyed the programme and improved my knowledge. I am envious of students now who have the internet, laptops and the TV to explain things. I had to ding facts in by being told often and reading stuff over and over.

It is for the masses but I do cringe a bit when trees are humanised i.e communication with each other and sharing food. I guess that language has to be used; I know it is happening and that fungi are under estimated; more explanation on this would have been helpful.

I thought Ms Dench and Tony Kirkham were good. Great when people can string a few sentences together without several `you knows` and `like`.

Edited by fagus

I thought it was an absolutely fascinating programme my 2 boys loved it too they are 3 and 6 and already obsessed with trees and arboriculture in general. My eldest is getting a harness in the new year and wants to do a bit of climbing with me (nothing too high obviously)

They participate in forrest school at their school and they absolutely love it. It is a brilliant idea to add to the curriculum just a shame that the school doesn't receive funding for it. I have given them what I can to help but the government should be doing this.

Sorry I went of on a slight tangent then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tony_t3d said:

Most significant comment made on that program for me what when he said... There are more trees on the planet than stars in the sky...

Apologies for being annoyingly pedantic but this is rather a curious statement. I wonder what they mean by 'sky'?

If they are talking about the number of stars we can see from our vantage point on Earth, the number is rather small (around 5000). This is pitiful compared to the number of trees (3 trillion) so would be factually correct but a very strange comparison to make.

If they are talking about stars in the observable universe they are way,way,way out in the wrong direction. There are an estimated 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the observable universe. There are single galaxies with 30 times more stars in them than there are trees on the planet, and there are around 170 billion galaxies.

Apologies again, not trying to cause trouble, just trying to understand that statement.

• Like 4

Apologies for being annoyingly pedantic but this is rather a curious statement. I wonder what they mean by 'sky'?

If they are talking about the number of stars we can see from our vantage point on Earth, the number is rather small (around 5000). This is pitiful compared to the number of trees (3 trillion) so would be factually correct but a very strange comparison to make.

If they are talking about stars in the observable universe they are way,way,way out in the wrong direction. There are an estimated 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the observable universe. There are single galaxies with 30 times more stars in them than there are trees on the planet, and there are around 170 billion galaxies.

Apologies again, not trying to cause trouble, just trying to understand that statement.

My astronomy knowledge only spans as far as my sailing days and even that was very limited.

I appreciate your comments although I did think it was a bold claim, that's what caused me to be amazed by it. But I suppose if they employ an expert and put him on telly I generally believe him [emoji23] [emoji23] more fool me!
  • Haha 1

Sorry, tiny temporary derail:$ but you have to see this!

This video is a zoomed in view of a small portion of our nearest galaxy Andromeda. Each tiny pixel of white is a sun like our own. Almost all these suns will have planets and moons orbiting them.

You don't need drugs (or meditation come to that) to seriously blow your mind!

• Like 1