What’s the silliest tpo you have come across?

Steve Bullman

Looked at one a while back, I think the tree was a hawthorn (covered in ivy) filled half this poor guys garden so nothing would grow underneath. He was refused permission to fell it on the grounds the houses behind would be able to see his house, was onlyt allowed to trim it. His rear fence only backed into a cul de sac with just the road at the end of his garden. You'd have to stand in the road to look over his fence..

We have TPOs on whole roadside copses by the house, which are in the garden.  Full of overgrown Laurel and Elder in between a few nice Holly and Yew.  I do not know who put these orders on or what the procedure is.  They were placed in the 1980s.  Is asking for a review sensible or does it open another can of worms?

Is it different in different areas?  

Can anyone apply to put a TPO on any tree anonymously?

8 minutes ago, Billhook said:

We have TPOs on whole roadside copses by the house, which are in the garden.  Full of overgrown Laurel and Elder in between a few nice Holly and Yew.  I do not know who put these orders on or what the procedure is.  They were placed in the 1980s.  Is asking for a review sensible or does it open another can of worms?

You can ask, but funding being what it is the LA might just respond that they’re protected and they can just manage/control the trees through the application process. 

Area orders are are meant to be a short term means of protection, in place to protect everything until the site can be surveyed properly and then updated with a new order identifying the worthy trees.

Doesnt always happen though. Is it a woodland order or an area? There are differences.  Either way, the point is to preserve and protect the amenity provided, so a suitable management based application shouldn’t be opposed by the LA, it should be welcomed and receive support of the TO as an improvement.  

Anyone can propose tree protection, it’s up to the authority to decide the ‘value’ of the trees and whether they are under threat or in good management.

On 12/12/2017 at 12:59, Mark Bolam said:

TPO's on crap like this only serve to cheapen the 'value' of a TPO imo.

There is one near me on 4 birches in a line that have been 'pollarded' at about 12' and are just rotten mushbags.

Topped birches are a work of art! I've got some classics down my way, absolutely mangled,  which always bring a smile to my face.

I've got quite a few goat willow, some bangin' Lawson's that must have only just been planted when the tpo served (line of trees back in the day!) and a massive pile of bay in a back garden. All specified as individual trees following area reviews. 

12 hours ago, Billhook said:

Ask your TO whether they consider laurel part of the woodland.