No mobile reception at home

Woodworks

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

So how good does broadband have to be for the EE and Vodaphone oh and the Apple gizmo? We only get between 2.5 and 3.5 meg and that's not going to improve any time soon as we are at the end of 3 miles of skinny squirrel chewed phone line.

I noticed my EE booster did not work at speeds around 2mg.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, benedmonds said:

I have an EE signal booster. Without it I can't get a signal in the house. I don't know how it works but you need to have reasonable  broadband as it did not work when broadband was running at 2mg. Now with fibre at 60mg It is fine.. 

My solution when it wasn't working was to leave my phone hanging outside the front door were I could get a signal and wear my Bluetooth earpiece while in the house... Not an elegant solution but it meant I missed less calls...

I could wear a dark suit and shades at the same time Ben, so my kids would think I'm in deep cover for the CIA.

Genius.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

So how good does broadband have to be for the EE and Vodaphone oh and the Apple gizmo? We only get between 2.5 and 3.5 meg and that's not going to improve any time soon as we are at the end of 3 miles of skinny squirrel chewed phone line.

No idea, ours is fairly decent but the wife got full signal in the house after we got the box. Then left Vodafone the second her contract was up as all the other networks are fine here and put the box on ebay

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

We live in the sticks but do have mobile reception outside but when we built our house used a foil insulation and we get no reception inside.

I had a similar problem at my brother's, between Tiverton and Crediton in Wickamula's bailiwick.

His broadband was crap too so I took a 4g router and external aerial to him and data works fine.

http://www.4grouter.co.uk/4G/Fullband--FBXPMIMO-8dBi-peak-gain---Cross-Polarised-Outdoor-4G-MiMo-Antenna-for-optimum-4G-signal-reception---supplied-with-2-x-5m-long-antenna-cables.-FBXPMIMO_4G_Antenna.html#SID=6

Is the sort or aerial which I leave at an upstairs window but will move into loft this weekend, when I will get the actual details. To use voice you could use a car kit to plug the antenna to

9 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I had a similar problem at my brother's, between Tiverton and Crediton in Wickamula's bailiwick.

His broadband was crap too so I took a 4g router and external aerial to him and data works fine.

http://www.4grouter.co.uk/4G/Fullband--FBXPMIMO-8dBi-peak-gain---Cross-Polarised-Outdoor-4G-MiMo-Antenna-for-optimum-4G-signal-reception---supplied-with-2-x-5m-long-antenna-cables.-FBXPMIMO_4G_Antenna.html#SID=6

Is the sort or aerial which I leave at an upstairs window but will move into loft this weekend, when I will get the actual details. To use voice you could use a car kit to plug the antenna to

Think I need to do some reading up to work out what you are telling me. I am not exactly savy in these matters :)

16 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Think I need to do some reading up to work out what you are telling me. I am not exactly savy in these matters :)

It's fairly simple, the external antenna has gain, about 8 decibels  which sort of means it delivers over twice as much signal to the device it is plugged in to, it comes with 2 x  5 metre coax leads which a 4g router can use but if you have a car kit in the house where it can plug in and you connect the cellphone to the car kit.

The antenna will need to be mounted outside and high but within 5m of where you plug the cellphone in

7 hours ago, openspaceman said:

It's fairly simple, the external antenna has gain, about 8 decibels  which sort of means it delivers over twice as much signal to the device it is plugged in to, it comes with 2 x  5 metre coax leads which a 4g router can use but if you have a car kit in the house where it can plug in and you connect the cellphone to the car kit.

The antenna will need to be mounted outside and high but within 5m of where you plug the cellphone in

Sorry for being thick here but I am more a 20th century man than a 21st.

So the antenna feeds to a router but how does that enable the use of a phone, is it a bluetooth link? Apparently there is good 4g around here so whatever you are suggesting could work. Or is that the fast 4g broadband enables me to use the phone via the internet through a device like the sure signal? I dont even know what 4g really means :$