Never stop

Stefan Palokangas

On 17/11/2017 at 05:13, Drew87 said:

1stly,, Congrats Stefan.!! Always good to Hear of someone landing on their feet running after putting the effort in.. Well done,, Well deserved.!!

But I also totally agree with the couple comments meaning "Be very careful n don't be a fool".!!

(If your having what reads as heart and body tremors), Its your body screamin "Stop Abusing Me.!!!"

My first ever ever, Black Out.. came this year.. back in Late June early July'ish.. (Weird weather,, Very Hot Day for UK, hit 34°c at peak, think it was a record temp too.?) .. 2.5hrs after I returned home from 2x Massive Beech Stem Fells with NO sleep for just Two nights.. & I like to try work quicker than anyone else (as im gettin older too) ..

Im also Insomniaphobic you see (SubConscious fear of sleep & Anxiety/Stress are the main triggers), average 4hrs sleep every 2days as a pattern.. but had it since I was 5, So its normal for me to sometimes miss a night or two in a row completely & still feel normal & work n not miss any sleep..

(Once I done it for 5nights running,, Only that once though.. Ive done 4x nights afew times.. But never 5th since & I wouldn't EVER go to work after 2nd Night No Sleep, n go work 3rd day.. now I learnt about sleep in more) ,,5th day,, it was pure HELL, and was Hallucinating & Everything & Couldn't even focus my eyes.. even started a 66 on THE WRONG LEG.!! Lucky PPE WORKS.!! straight after that I closed site for the weekend & then I didnt work for two days.. I slept for 2x days straight, not even woke up for toilet or eat.!! and woke up SUNDAY.!!

Being Insomniaphobic feels like when your a child waitin for xmas the day before .. excited & nervous & worried all at sametime.. But still know you NEED to Fall Asleep & realise your still awake thinking about going to sleep.. HELL.!!!

As I'm the main groundie, guess who moved them.. done 3/4s of them and stacked rings by time they were ringed up.. Drank so much that day was silly.. and ate lunch so had lil break & still I stopped sweating (1st sign of dehydration, didnt realise how exhausted body was,, But mind felt absolutely fine ) ..

At the end, of the job I still felt quite fine and in good spirit to see the day completed, as you do.. 2.5hrs later & Just about to walk in to my bedroom after more drinks & straight out the bath.. Felt abit strange..

(2nd & 3rd Body warning, Lips felt Tingley)

Immediately followed by Sudden Rush of Pure Heat from body, to my Head (4th & 5th Warnings) ..

Then took last step from bathroom to bedroom .. they connect to each other .. on very small 1m x 1.2m landing..

(6th, 7th & 8th Body Scream comin)..

Chest pains, stabbin Heart pain,, Then so Dizzy I thought, I'll try aim for the bed on this next step forward..

Then found myself on the floor, with head under the bed frame.. Confused as & panicin id had a stroke.. Tried get up too quick.. SMACK.!! Hit bck of my head on the bed AGAIN.!! .. Right infront of my gf Tracy.. she said I completely missed the bed, n looked like I went to jump on the metal frame instead of matress (I thought was the bed as that was what I could see,, Shows how dizzy I was dun'it)

2mins later sat on the bed I felt absolutely fine, just sore back of the head..

Lucky at home and not on site nor on a saw / machinery ay.. Hint hint..

Advice: Listen to your body more & Know your limits.!!

Well done getting the Contract.!! Your lucky as in more ways than one.!

STAY SAFE OUT THERE.!!!

29dd713c3f5efbc664685245632caf0c.jpg

7635f6e8755bcfdfaccb62620efc2cce.jpg

Glad you were not too badly hurt.

But seriously, you said you are getting older.  You SHOULD know better.  

Carrying on like that is a fools game.  What do you think you are gonna prove?  That you can work till you pass out?  as that is all you proved.

Take it easy, take a break and find something for your insomnia.  I have had it badly since my mid teens.  I manage fine these days.

The old school attitudes of first in last out is pathetic IMO.

Work smarter and not harder and then take the time to reflect on the people knocking their nuts out without thinking.

• Like 2

Smarter not harder - yes indeed, I'll buy into that. Makes me scratch my head when older people than me hard-charge the task at hand. The worst culprits are people who don't usually work physically. These days I'll get the sack troll to move stuff that formerly I would have simply picked up. Something else that somes in very handy is a cheap cable winch - you know the pot metal €£$20-something jobs - was trying to park my trailer yesterday behind a bush, the ground was rough and I just couldn't drag it in there. In my twenties, I would have struggled with it "I wont be beaten by theis!!!" but dont have patience for that kind of carry on now. The wee winch would have made the whole thing easy and painless, but didnt have it on me.... 

On 11/16/2017 at 17:21, Stefan Palokangas said:

After so much hard work, after giving everything i have and more, kept my mind positive.

Sometimes 3 days work no sleep, shaking with chest pains and laughter it off as something great and positive.

Finally I have landed a big ongoing contract, got all battery powered husqvarna gear believing this is the future, got the best risk assessments and method statements I could find. And a proper insurance. I filled my credit cards to max, took loans on my house, to be able getting in heavy equipment. Finished 3 contracts paid all off and got a long term contract.

If you ever struggle remember never stop never give up, just keep going no matter what.

It’s all in your mind.

If you can imagine it you will have it.

Welcome to the world of plate spinners Stefan :)

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad you were not too badly hurt.

But seriously, you said you are getting older.  You SHOULD know better.  

Carrying on like that is a fools game.  What do you think you are gonna prove?  That you can work till you pass out?  as that is all you proved.

Take it easy, take a break and find something for your insomnia.  I have had it badly since my mid teens.  I manage fine these days.

The old school attitudes of first in last out is pathetic IMO.

Work smarter and not harder and then take the time to reflect on the people knocking their nuts out without thinking.

Completely Agree RichR.!! 

It was a First & Last for both instances,, that could of been much worse.. 

The Passing Out was honestly scary.. Never happened before,, So realising I am ONLY Human & Not a Robotic Work Horse, that doesn't need sleep was dually noted. Never again to be repeated. I do / should I say.. did.. Pride myself on how Much I could do on my own,, to keep up with Two Climbers Cutting,, being pressured to do so on a daily basis by Big Named Bosses & Colleagues. (23 street trees in a day on average,, while other crews only done 9) .. 

Resulted in being 'hit' too.. Never again, for anyone. Needless to say,, I was happy to talk to the boss to try reduce the amount done to 20,, He refused and thus,, let me go in the end.. And refused to replace my lid (personal one & he never supplied one in 3yrs of employment,, then I went UTR & he used that to get out of replacing it on the 60ft Head Smash, not even an Accident Report filled out, and the climber who done it,,  put my uniform through the chipper as it was 'SOAKED'..) .. Never gonna go back there again,,,