Black locust wood working

sime42

Hello all

This is my latest bit of wood turning. It's an earing stand for the Mrs. I started off with a log of unknown wood from some tree I cut down a while ago and then forgot about. Once I'd finished the turning I was curious about the ID so after a bit of research I worked out that it's Robinia Pseudoacacia or Black Locust as it's often called.

Anyway I was really pleased with the way the wood works and finishes. It's come up lovely. Very close grained, no faults that I found and kind of waxy to cut on the lathe. The only downside is that the end grain was bloody hard to sand by hand, (to remove a parting off mark).

Apparently it's some kind of wonder wood in terms of strength, hardness, toughness, durability etc etc. It rivals Hickory for tool handles for instance. All news to me.

Anyone else got any experience of using this for woodworking? I can highly recommend it.

IMG_20171014_115121.jpg

IMG_20171014_115053.jpg

IMG_20171014_115036.jpg

IMG_20171014_114956.jpg

robinia is on a parr with the statistics of hickory and beats ash hands down and i've often wondered why we don't use it for other purposes like fences,  flooring, tool handles, sporting goods, tree wedges, exterior furniture, furniture, bollards and of course areas in nightclubs that need to glow in UV light as this stuff glows bright green/yellow.

P1020789.JPG

• Like 1

Cheers guys
Nice bowls there. That's something I need to develop, bowl turning. Not done any for years. That's a nice hard shine you've got there se7enthdevil? What did you finish them with?
Apparently Robinia is a lot more widely used in America where it originates from. For things such as you suggest. Never heard of it being used in nightclubs though! The glowing is an interesting property.
On the negative side the trees can sometimes be a problem. They grow as weeds in some areas where they're really comfortable. And have even been classified as invasive species in some places I think. They're all over the world now.