Stihl saw stump grinder?

theyeti

I have one and use one now and again , good thing Is Once one direction is blunt , flip it around then use the other side ( if that makes sence ? ) my local timber yard sell them , ( challenge fencing supplies Farnham ) and my local tool hire firm ( chertsey tool hire Farnham ) hope this helps mate :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Desperate for one of these! used to hire the partner one from ermin plant - did the job but perfect for a-hole access like this:

Danequip 27 got 4 of them but that was that - too tight.

Ideal job for a little stumpy . We used to hire the partner one . Trouble was every time we hired it I usually had to sharpen the teeth . Best of luck on your quest to hunt one down :001_smile:

Desperate for one of these! used to hire the partner one from ermin plant - did the job but perfect for a-hole access like this:

Danequip 27 got 4 of them but that was that - too tight.

Hello,

I've done a job similar to that.

I removed the stonework to gain access and restored it afterwards.

Cheaper than messing around with hire and weedy machines.

Regards

Ty

• 1 year later...
Good thread guys, has anyone else got an update on these Ripper blades. They are rather pricey for me to test one out on a stump.

You mean something like this?

Ripper Blades | Blackdiamond International, Diamond Blades

I've got one. It comes into it's own for certain jobs, but stumpgrinding wouldn't be one of them. The gyroscopic force it generates is immensely tiring, and there's no way you could safely sweep it over a stump by hand. Cutting through roots when digging stumps out, and general demolition cuts is about all I've used mine for.

You mean something like this?

Ripper Blades | Blackdiamond International, Diamond Blades

I've got one. It comes into it's own for certain jobs, but stumpgrinding wouldn't be one of them. The gyroscopic force it generates is immensely tiring, and there's no way you could safely sweep it over a stump by hand. Cutting through roots when digging stumps out, and general demolition cuts is about all I've used mine for.

Cheers for the advice :001_smile:

Both Husqvarna and Partner had one, the Husqvarna was the 272S and the Partner was the S650, they were both hand held until the health and saftey people saw it, it was then bolted to a small trolley, the power cutter arm was used with a different guard, then a tungston carbide tipped blade was bolted on, worked really well on small stumps but as said you had to keed the edge on the tips.

I've had the Husky 272S version for around 10 years and have used it as a stump grinder about as many times. If there is a way to use it effectively with the trolley I never found it!

However, with its weight on the ground and operated from a kneeling position its reasonably effective for small stumps or bits of stumps tight to walls etc. where no other machine would go.

Really need several spare grinding wheels. New from the shops these are around £200 + vat a piece. Ebay can be a good source of machines and grinding wheels.

With slight modification to the guarding and the right combination of spacers it will take an 8 inch cutting disc that is fine for cutting away stray steel work around stumps. Mine gets used mainly for that purpose.

As a dual purpose tool it justifies its space in the van.