What type of MEWP and why?

beechwood

Sounds like things have really moved on Philip.

I'm pretty sure a new 34m Bronto was more than that back in the '90's!

Still a frightening amount, but I don't expect new cranes are cheap either, and we know how much they can bring to the party on the right job.

Same as MEWPS in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

27m on a 3.5t chassis sounds terrifying.

I used truck mounts extensively back when I was working in telecomms.

A 22m machine would be on a 7.5t chassis.

Most commonly used 34m Brontos on a 17.5t chassis.

Occasionally used 60m machines which had a 42t chassis. Looked like a Dinky toy at full stick.

That was £1500/day to hire back in the late '90's.

Photos not in a treework scenario but you'll get the gist outreach wise maximum outreach is to the rear and sides 15m with 12 m over the cab.

set up is very fast self levelling on up to 5degree incline it also has a back to basic button which will bring it down from any point and pack it up ready to flick the pto switch in the cab and drive off.

the cage is small which can be ideal for treework to squeeze in but we just use it with one operator/ arborist in the cage so we get maximum outreach at all times cage will hold 230kg one person perimeters set at 100kg for maximum outreach.

because you have more outreach you can stand off and reach the sides of trees so up and over not so critical you always have the option to place a climber in top for thins or reductions out of reach.

most times were able to get set up in more than one position to get at all sides.

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roseyweb said:

We used a 40m strait stick to do a load of Tree Removals in Brixworth 

The wheel base was wider than the road closure so we had to have one wheel on the grass which was a bit twitchy 

IMG_4425.JPG

These are one of the best for tree work if the terrain is level.  There really is no one machine thats best for everything.  Just too many variables in this job, same as the age old arguement of what the best arb truck is

Photos not in a treework scenario but you'll get the gist outreach wise maximum outreach is to the rear and sides 15m with 12 m over the cab.
set up is very fast self levelling on up to 5degree incline it also has a back to basic button which will bring it down from any point and pack it up ready to flick the pto switch in the cab and drive off.
the cage is small which can be ideal for treework to squeeze in but we just use it with one operator/ arborist in the cage so we get maximum outreach at all times cage will hold 230kg one person perimeters set at 100kg for maximum outreach.
because you have more outreach you can stand off and reach the sides of trees so up and over not so critical you always have the option to place a climber in top for thins or reductions out of reach.
most times were able to get set up in more than one position to get at all sides.

Philip Thanks for the post some real good information. I'll contact Ruthmann and enquiry about the new 29m unit.
My only hesitation about the straight stick is you don't get as much boom clearance for what your dropping, if that makes sense but I guess you adjust how you work.

dfb8b5655a76888f70b39afa874bd5c9.jpg

In terms of it being tracked unit we have found it very useful on a few jobs that we wouldn't have been able to get a truck mount to but I'm not what percentage of jobs that would have been.
  • Like 1

We used a 40m strait stick to do a load of Tree Removals in Brixworth 
The wheel base was wider than the road closure so we had to have one wheel on the grass which was a bit twitchy 
IMG_4425.JPG

What was the rent on a mewp like that if you don't mind me asking? I've been in one but never done tree work from one.

7 hours ago, beechwood said:

Philip Thanks for the post some real good information. I'll contact Ruthmann and enquiry about the new 29m unit.
My only hesitation about the straight stick is you don't get as much boom clearance for what your dropping, if that makes sense but I guess you adjust how you work.

dfb8b5655a76888f70b39afa874bd5c9.jpg

In terms of it being tracked unit we have found it very useful on a few jobs that we wouldn't have been able to get a truck mount to but I'm not what percentage of jobs that would have been.

I like your choice of boom colour red is very visible!!!

the uk agent is Darren Sutton based in Lincolnshire he trades under the business name of Access Sales International.

youve got cage rotation etc so we don't find snagging the boom and issue as you can position slightly above work point,our drop zone tends to be at the rear of the vehicle as that is the largest free space with no jacks to hit etc.

at 20 m height vertically your still 7+ m off the back end of the truck at least.

Ive not seen a 29m yet there's not one in the uk ,they get the 29 m height by increasing the upright angle ,some height on 3.5 tons .Ruthmann are a good manufacturer we were told they were the rolls Royce before we bought our first one 14 years ago we sold that after 8 /9 years for£21k it was a fantastic investment,no regrets ,they are a very user friendly machine which is very important as you want to use it and it puts a smile on your face when you do use it .

Iv got a defender it does most of what I need it to do 

I love the speed of the set up easy to use and move about can tow a trailer or chipper etc 

a firm i contract for had a tracked mewp on a trailer personally I didn't like it towing on trailer set up takes longer 

the mewp i want next is nisssn cabstar I love the height & out reach and at a good price 2nd hand 

This thread has been interesting and thought provoking for me.
I looked into both Ruthmann and Teupen straight stick machines and they sound good but a closer look, highlighted the ranges are limited by weight you can have to the basket.
Obviously if you little and skinny a 100kg or even 80kg basket capacity wouldn't worry you but I'm neither! And by the time you add in 3 saws, fuel, climbing kit and rope, maybe some lowering kit and a lunch box I'm guessing most arborists would be over the limit and then they don't have reach they claim to.
Our current Teupen has 250kg basket capacity throughout it operating envelope.
So when I replace ours it will probably be the Leo24GT I go for but I'm definitely going to look into a truck to carry it so we can use it like a truck mount but still have the versatility of it being on tracks when required.

f89d9ce4f6a8f440783ea15c440fe2e4.jpg

921c642fbb3bd920e98b1d74aad72d23.jpg

The other thing that the thread makes clear to me is if you own or use the same MEWP regularly, you get used to its capabilities and shortcomings. Then you can make it work well for you and your job, hence people really like the one they have over others they have hire in or only used a couple of times.
I think a lot of the resistance or slating of the use MEWPs is down to people having very little experience of using them in treework.
Very similar to a few years ago when lots the old school climbers bitched about how much shinny stuff people had hanging off their harnesses. I feel that now that view is only held by the minority and most are embracing new kit and techniques.
Although I'm not sure that the dislike of MEWPs will disappear as quickly as they just cost too much for most companies to even consider buying in a industry that on the whole is price driven.

MEWPs are not the answer to everything but they are a really useful tool to have. In my view they make the job safer and easier on the operator but like any skill you can't go do a ticket and expect to be brilliant at it straight away. It takes the right attitude, time and practise.

Obviously just my view and not meant as a dig at anyone in particular.

Regards Neil

• Like 1