GREENMECH CHIPPER (ISUZU ENGINE) OVER HEATING

AKERS TREE SERVICES

Sorry, been without WiFi for a bit and busy during the day. The 202 with the Isuzu engine did have a "cold compartment' fitted so check that the front of the radiator is encouraged to only pull in cold air. As said, the radiator can silt up which can affect its ability to efficiently cool water. I have also heard of water pumps failing internally but not leaking which again can hurt things. Is the engine otherwise healthy? Friction from broken rings or bad oil is heat inducing too. I believe that all of these had extra cooling vents fired to the cover to allow the hot air to escape rather than waffle about before getting sucked through the chipper. 

Good advice from Pete, I would pay particular attention to the sealing of the cold compartment because if there is foam or edging strip missing then instead of the radiator drawing in cold air it can instead recirculate hot air from the engine compartment.

Are you losing coolant ? If you run the engine with the rad cap off are you getting air bubbles in the top of the radiator ?

Also there is a  damper built into the crankshaft pulley and these have been known to fail on your engine.. To test this try turning the engine over on the cooling fan , you'll probably need to push the fan belt in along its run between the pulleys to keep it tight , what you're trying to see if is you can turn the pulley at the back of the engine that drives the chipper flywheel ? If the bonding on the crankshaft pulley fails the pulley can virtually " freewheel" so you don't get the positive drive to the cooling fan but this can be hard to detect. It's easy to diagnose on a chipper with a digital read out of revs as the revs would be seen to fluctuate but on your chipper it would only show up as poor cooling and maybe "No stress" issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord!!!! We'll spotted! It doesn't look right to me either now you say it. It certainly wouldn't help cooling issues on a achiness designed for a pull fan and I don't ever recall using a pusher fan for anything other test purposes. We'll done Jase, I take back every insult!!!

• Haha 1

After studying the pictures again I'm sort of fairly sure, almost, but it's hard to tell, is the fan on the right way round...?

If you look at the first picture, if the fan was turned the other way around then it would be more aggressive .

A clearer picture would show it for sure..

Ok, after looking at a new fan today I can confirm that the 'fan' is definitely fitted the wrong way round.....

• Thanks 1