Ideas wanted for log screening

Woodworks

Looking at getting forklift with rotator for emptying IBC crates of logs. The down side to this is up to now I have hand-balled the logs out the crates in to the truck and so got rid of all the processor waste. Our processor does have a small screen that some of the crumbs fall through but would like to do to keep the logs clean. Seen the big rotating screens but they take up loads of space and I am sure cost a lot.

What do you guys and gals use :001_smile:

We don't bother screening more than the processor does, although we don't cut small wood, we just found people complained about lack of kindling but if you do want to sort it you can put another screen on the end of the conveyor.

Tajfun do one (I've got one and never put it on). They have slots like at the base sloping off the conveyor with a solid sheet at the opposite angle underneath to take the kindling away from the pile.

Looking at getting forklift with rotator for emptying IBC crates of logs. The down side to this is up to now I have hand-balled the logs out the crates in to the truck and so got rid of all the processor waste. Our processor does have a small screen that some of the crumbs fall through but would like to do to keep the logs clean. Seen the big rotating screens but they take up loads of space and I am sure cost a lot.

What do you guys and gals use :001_smile:

I was once recommended to this company before http://www.trommel.co.uk

Supposedly they'll make them any size you require. No idea of cost.

I would make an angled frame with some lengths of angle face down about 2" apart and wide enough to tip your IBC's out onto then the 'clean' logs will tip straight into you truck/bag etc. Probably what I'll be doing myself. We reuse the small bits in the biomass boiler so I'd rather screen it after drying than during processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

That Posch looks great but comes with usual heavy price tag.

Not seen the Farmi one before but that chute looks a bit short. Not sure the conveyor could handle anything bigger though. The chute on the Fuelwood looks the right sort of size but doubt it comes cheap Log Cleaning | Fuelwood Logcleana

Will find out about the Tajfan one.

Love to see pics of the one your making sjs :thumbup1: About to get my first welder so maybe could be a learning project?

Maybe I am over thinking this and just send the crates out with some waste in them and see if anyone mutters. Thing is we are at the expensive end for round here so don't want to disappoint customers.

STANDARD RIDDLE grizzley soil screener tipper grab crusher digger skip recycle | eBay

Maybe you could use that, or similar, and have it sitti g high enough so that you can reverse your truck up too it, and load direct.

The screenin drums are good coming straight off the firewood processor, but slow when your trying to push 2 or 3 cubic metres through in one go.

The tajfun one is in this video at 2:40.

I can't see it will be as good as a rotary one and they're designed for the tajfun but they were only about £300.

Also I just learned tajfun is pronounced typhoon not tadge fun after 5 years of using them. ;)

Farmi screen is a waste of time - far too short.

Buy a decent inverter welded and make one based on the Posch bar screener but make it a foot longer - will be perfect for your needs.

The gap between the round tube screen bars is critical if you wish to minimise blockages.

I'll have a measure for you if I get a minute.

Tromells are great if you can justify investment by producing 1000m3 +.

Good luck.