Trees In My Neighbours garden

David Read

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best use of your cash would be to offer to pay to get the works done.

Calculate the action Hedge Height..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hedge-height-and-light-loss

If this height is acceptable to you show it to your neighbour, explain that you would rather use £500 on doing the works then waste it on the council, who could serve an enforcement notice on the hedge, making them do the works at their cost.

If this doesn't work try some other mediation and as a last resort go to the council...

Which council is this and what are the specific details of their response? I can't imagine any council requesting money up front for enforcement related issues.

It might not be an enforcement issue.. The council might come out, work out the overall action hedge height and tell the complainer to stop moaning... Someone has to pay for this service...

It might not be an enforcement issue.. The council might come out, work out the overall action hedge height and tell the complainer to stop moaning... Someone has to pay for this service...

Perhaps you're right. £500 would put off minor moaners atleast....

Were the trees there when you moved in and have they gained much height while you have lived there ? I think there is more context needed to get a fuller grasp of the situation. Looking at your picture if I was the neighbour I would be glad to see the back of the hedge as well. :D

Edited by peatff

Were the trees there when you moved in and have they gained much height while you have lived there ? I think there is more context needed to get a fuller grasp of the situation. Looking at your picture if I was the neighbour I would be glad to see the back of the hedge as well you. :D

I don't see the need for more context.

They're clearly too tall.

These are lawsons or similar,so the argument that they were there when you moved in doesn't really carry much weight, hardly churchyard yews or veteran oaks.

As far as you neighbours are concerned, I'd like to tell them that...

If you don't have enough money to buy a house with no neighbours, don't pretend you haven't with selfish behavior like this.

(Yes I've been drinking!)

Edited by Mick Dempsey

If you don't have enough money to buy a house with no neighbours, don't pretend you haven't with selfish behavior like this.

That's probably why you aren't making sense :thumbup: I'm not defending the neighbour. If the trees were there and a reasonable height when they moved in and they have grown in a short time (as Leylandii do) then what will they be like in a few more years and how much more is it going to cost to sort out later ? Doesn't anyone else have a problem with the trees, it's not 6 o' clock all day and it must affect neighbours on other sides at different times of day. I agree the tree owners are being thoughtless and they look like Leylandii which are thoroughly horrible trees in the wrong setting which is any garden not attached to a stately home.

I don't see the need for more context.

They're clearly too tall.

These are lawsons or similar,so the argument that they were there when you moved in doesn't really carry much weight, hardly churchyard yews or veteran oaks.

It shows.