Climbing plane trees

paradise

I think tree cutter stu meant, throwline into the top of the crown, install rope and footlock up it. That is what most of us would do, but it requires practice. Plane are quite easy, Poplars and hairy limes are the hardest!

For weighting the end of your rope a heavy throwbag will do. It might not seem heavy enough but it will help. THrow bags come in a range of sizes. Most climbers have a light one for thrownig and a heavy one at the other end of the throwline for positioning the line. Get one of the heavy ones clipped to your line it will help.

I think if the limbs are small enough to get a 60cm sling round then you would just climb up them? Slings are no good for climbign large trees. IMO they are for positioning high in the crwon or at limb ends.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bear Grylls would just tie his shoe laces together and koala up it.haha, I know what you mean by having no space to "throw", so I think the endless sling idea choked around the bare trunk to use as foot loops (almost like "fake" spikes) would be a safe bet. Alternatively, depending on how deep your pockets are, purchase a big shot and get your rope in the top first.

Edited by Frank

forget the throw line and get yourself a pole!

the one i use at work has a h shaped hook on it. clip a karabiner on the end of your rope to give it a bit of weight, then with a bit of slack poke it over the crotch then pull it back in with the hook.

SIMPLE:thumbup1:

Pete

forget the throw line and get yourself a pole!

the one i use at work has a h shaped hook on it. clip a karabiner on the end of your rope to give it a bit of weight, then with a bit of slack poke it over the crotch then pull it back in with the hook.

SIMPLE:thumbup1:

Pete

Good method for Lime trees but learn to throw your climbing line, it's one of the basics that you should get to learn.

Another things that beginners tend to do wrong is to follow the trunk up the tree. Sometimes you can climb branches to get you higher instead, but this brings you away from the trunk which can be unnerving. This often works best on Lime trees though!

Big throwbag clipped to the end of your rope is best IMO. Or throwline from the ground, doesn't need to be high, just higher than the difficult bit!

What he said!!!:001_smile: