How many cubic bags in a level trnsit load

kindlett

i was asking the question for you to provide some facts and figures in order to have a direct comparison.

Try and eliminate and or quantify at least some of the variables,wood verses oil,gas,coal/coke,

otherwise its like the begining of this thread,how long is a piece of string.?

At what moisture content do you want the calorific values for the logs :001_smile:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my customers installed a log burner, plumbed in to supplement his oil fired central heating, 3 years ago. He reckons he has saved £800 a year on oil from just "half a load" of my logs. A "full load" (loose stacked, level to the sides) in my Ranger pick up, ply lined load bay, taking account of the intruding wheel arches is 1.4M3. So, if he is correct, he is getting an excellent deal.

One of my customers installed a log burner, plumbed in to supplement his oil fired central heating, 3 years ago. He reckons he has saved £800 a year on oil from just "half a load" of my logs. A "full load" (loose stacked, level to the sides) in my Ranger pick up, ply lined load bay, taking account of the intruding wheel arches is 1.4M3. So, if he is correct, he is getting an excellent deal.

yes that sounds about right, our neighbour has same size house as ours 3 bedrooms etc, fills his oil tank up twice a year at over £300 each time - about £700 a pop for oil to heat hot water and radiators - we fill our truck up and bring it down twice a year with softwood and with this we cook and heat hot water and our 8 radiators! costing us if we sold it equivalent to say £160 for two loads of softwood at £85 a pop - which also cuts our electric bill as w cook on our aga (stanley) and our monthly electric is only £20 Direct Debit and even then in winter we get a rebate! :thumbup: - so compared to equivalent house with same size rooms etc our bills are reduced by £540!! but ofcourse our wood is free so we save alround!:001_tt2:

not many people these days can cook with solid fuel. We have a bosky that provides all our hot water and heat, and a bit of cooking. Works well for slow roasting joints, that kind of thing.

yes - you have to change your mind set with it, its more efficient to keep it in 24 hrs to keep the cast iron hot and plan your cooking - we cook our own lamb that we raise ourselves and its the best slow cooked in the "Stan" - you aint tasted food til youve tasted aga cooking!:thumbup1:

If The Hucks KWh numbers are correct then he was right, gas is cheaper and by a good chunk.

BUT.... perhaps people make the big saving on their gas bill not replacing gas KWh with wood fuel KWhs directly but by only heating the room they are sat in (like the good old days).

I have the gas CH left switched on so it kicks in if the log burner in the living room is not fired. Believe me there is no greater incentive than to light the b@gger when I hear the rumble of the Central Heating starting up.