Old 2 stoke mix is it so bad?

Woodworks

On the rare occasion that I put a saw away for any length of time I never empty it or run it dry. Just drain the stake fuel and refill with fresh when out comes out again.

As I understand it more problems can occur from running a saw dry and storing it empty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I second this

On the rare occasion that I put a saw away for any length of time I never empty it or run it dry. Just drain the stake fuel and refill with fresh when out comes out again.

As I understand it more problems can occur from running a saw dry and storing it empty.

:thumbup1:

The Stihl manuals say for long term storage to run until they stop - so no fuel in carb or tank - ive done this by tipping fuel out while running and then revving until they stop, possibly not the safest but i do quickly walk away from where i tipped the fuel while the machine is still running - if there was a lot i would decant before starting

the Stihl manuals would say just leave the fuel in if it didnt matter - my 441 ive had for 6 years and only use occaisionally - , always run till fuel gone before laying up, always been good, had a combi engine i didnt bother to empty and needed a new carb to get working - my guess is there is more damage to metering diaphragms from stale fuel than from being dried out

Edited by tree-fancier123

The Stihl manuals say for long term storage to run until they stop - so no fuel in carb or tank - ive done this by tipping fuel out while running and then revving until they stop, possibly not the safest but i do quickly walk away from where i tipped the fuel while the machine is still running - if there was a lot i would decant before starting

the Stihl manuals would say just leave the fuel in if it didnt matter - my 441 ive had for 6 years and only use occaisionally - , always run till fuel gone before laying up, always been good, had a combi engine i didnt bother to empty and needed a new carb to get working - my guess is there is more damage to metering diaphragms from stale fuel than from being dried out

The ethanol in fuel causes the perishable rubbers in the saw to dry out. Not such a problem when there is mix in there to prevent this, but once left dry and exposed to air the rubber can go brittle and crack.

The ethanol in fuel causes the perishable rubbers in the saw to dry out. Not such a problem when there is mix in there to prevent this, but once left dry and exposed to air the rubber can go brittle and crack.

And non of this happens if you use Aspen from the get go .