Landrover Trouble...

Tree Man Tom

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rebuilt a 200tdi lump some years ago after a gudgeon pin "moved". I Had it re-lined and fitted new rings and pistons myself and chucked it back together using a Haynes as a reference. It went on for a few years then I swapped it but in that period it never burnt oil or missed a beat. It got to the stage where I could have a Landrover engine out in about 90 minutes!

Good luck with the replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Still after an engine, trying to get a defender one so its literally a straight swap, although they seem hard to come by and the one i was after on ebay, well the bugger out bid me at the last second :(

Getting desperate now as im not enjoying cycling about with all my tree gear on my back lol

Next plan maybe to rebuild my current one, or chance it and get a disco engine and hope i can get it to fit without to much trouble. Dam landrover...

did you find out exactly what was wrong?

Had a mechanic come out and look at it and he had a good route around and a listen and is confident its something internal, he couldnt be sure weather to say it was the big end bearing or not, but deffeintly something internal.

He's a freind and very knowledgable and reccomended i just put a new engine in, as it would be cheaper. But i may contact him again and see what other options he has for me.

Tom, I went out and bought a recon, you waste so much time hunting a decent engine down then when fitted it might not be right and could cost you a fortune in time.

Might cost a little more but will be money well invested

Its looking that way dean, may have to sell some cordwood off to fund it though lol

Tom, i spent about 2k at Wards Engines. I had the engine taken out and stripped by Mid cornwall 4x4 (who i always use) and sent to wards. i got a total rebuild with genuine parts and because i had cracked the head i opted for a second hand one off wards, which they warrantied for 3 months if i remember rightly. They would have supplied me a new head but at the time i couldnt afford it.The service was impeccable and they were extremely obliging. That was 2 years ago, and i have not had the slightest hint of a problem. It has recently started to weep a tiny bit of oil from the rocker cover gasket.

I would recommend this as the very best way foreward. I looked into 2nd hand engines etc etc and TBH although it was a financial stretch at the time, i would always go down that route in the future. The total bill was about 2.6k.

Tom, i spent about 2k at Wards Engines. I had the engine taken out and stripped by Mid cornwall 4x4 (who i always use) and sent to wards. i got a total rebuild with genuine parts and because i had cracked the head i opted for a second hand one off wards, which they warrantied for 3 months if i remember rightly. They would have supplied me a new head but at the time i couldnt afford it.The service was impeccable and they were extremely obliging. That was 2 years ago, and i have not had the slightest hint of a problem. It has recently started to weep a tiny bit of oil from the rocker cover gasket.

I would recommend this as the very best way foreward. I looked into 2nd hand engines etc etc and TBH although it was a financial stretch at the time, i would always go down that route in the future. The total bill was about 2.6k.

Cheers for that mate, its all a pain to say the least. Borrowed a car for a week and kept getting stuck on grass, made me relise how much i need something like a landrover for the stuff i do. I dont have much money at my disposal atm which is a pain.

Might bite the bullet and sell it as it is, yes im going to loose some money but least i can start again then.