Landrover Trouble...

Tree Man Tom

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe something has slipped down and the oil getting over and exiting thru engine breather......local mechanic is the answer

My trusty mechanic is in hospital with 2 broken legs atm :thumbdown:

Not had great experiances with other garages around here, hence why im gonna have a good look at finding and fixing the problem myself before i do anything else :001_rolleyes:

Time to start looking for a replacement engine.

Low oil pressure is probably because a big end bearing is in the process of giving up. The knocking is classic big ends. The oil loss is likely to be due to crankcase pressure blowing it out of the breather. Early 200’s are particularly good at this.

If you run in more before investigating it, the engine is likely to give up in a dramatic manner.

This is a Cummins engine that was running a chipper till this morning. That’s a con rod looking out of the block.

treequip-albums-general-picture2034-image0044.jpg

Could be many things then Tom but engine oil leak combined with Knocking is not good news mate, I'm sorry :001_huh:

I know of quite a few TD5's round here that have had oil pump failures thats why I asked.

One good thing is 200tdi engines are a lot cheaper and easier to come by

One of the reasons i went for a 200tdi was the fact engines are cheap and easy to come by like you say, i will have a good route around tomorow and report back with my findings :001_smile:

I think i probably thought it was going to be terminal, but was just being the optomist and thinking "just the oil pump" lol

In the mean time anyone point me in the direction of a 200tdi engine? lol

200tdi are bullet proof motors ,if serviced ! had one in a disco and it was on 384k when i sold it. sorry about your bad luck but i would say big ends/ crank. dont bother fixing it ,rip it out and stick another 200tdi in,300tdi will fit but you have to fu*** about abit. might as well check clutch and release arm while apart. one /two days max!