Landrover Trouble...

Tree Man Tom

id be looking for a mot faliure 200tdi disco mate, which has failed on something other than the engine, but which is still running and driveable so you know the engines running well. the swaps been done plenty of times so im sure its well documented on the net. tried Land Rover Owner International magazine - lro.com ? and pay youre mechanic mate to help you do the mods, sell anything of use from the remaining discovery, and scrap the rest-get a few quid back

if not, break it . . . how much for the wheels?? :001_tongue:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not tryin to knock your mechanic friend but have you tried filling the engine back up with oil then starting it. if the knocking stops then it is more than likely just an oil leak and could be as simple as a split hose, perished sump gasket, loose sump nut etc. loosing all the oil from your engine will cause it to knock. would hate for you to have to spend out all that money for the sake of a two a penny part. hope this is of some help.

not tryin to knock your mechanic friend but have you tried filling the engine back up with oil then starting it. if the knocking stops then it is more than likely just an oil leak and could be as simple as a split hose, perished sump gasket, loose sump nut etc. loosing all the oil from your engine will cause it to knock. would hate for you to have to spend out all that money for the sake of a two a penny part. hope this is of some help.

Yh ive done that mate, BUT now you've mentioned it im going to check again! lol

Said before that i put a disco 200tdi lump in my defender, my major headache was gettig the turbo n associated piping to fit, you allready have the turbo and inlet manifold so its a straight swap onto the donor engine.

I bought a whole mot faliure disco for £400 riped out the engine and rear axel then sold the rest, ended up a free engine n axel :thumbup:

Said before that i put a disco 200tdi lump in my defender, my major headache was gettig the turbo n associated piping to fit, you allready have the turbo and inlet manifold so its a straight swap onto the donor engine.

I bought a whole mot faliure disco for £400 riped out the engine and rear axel then sold the rest, ended up a free engine n axel :thumbup:

Is it really that simple? ive read so many conflicting reports that without actually having a disco engine infront of me i dont know if it is that simple or not.

My problem was converting from a 2.5n/a to a disco 200tdi, if you allready have the def 200tdi then its not going to be that hard, definatly the most cost effective option. You may have to get a bit of pipe work altered and change the temp sender in the thermostat.

Im no mechanical wizard and did it on my own, if you were closer id offer to give you a hand.

if you

remove engine from disco

swap engine mouting brackets and turbo/inlet/outlet manifold, use new gaskets

fit new clutch + release bearing and arm

mate to gearbox

then its just the wiring and pipe work

Tom...i think it really is that simple..yes. Dont forget that you have just bought a big meccano set. Nearly every L/R part ever made will just about fit all the other parts ever made:lol: get on to LR4x4.com. My bro used to live near you and there are loads of landy geeks your way, most of whom are members of that site from what i can tell.

Maybe they have a 200/300 tdi to drop straight in it ,flog it on for a profit :001_rolleyes: .

What you gotta think of is what will you get for £2.5k ??? Not much of a decent landy ,prob an older ex military 2.5 na or just a turbo ,ie not tdi .

Its a difficult one :confused1:

Mark