smoke controlled areas

slippery

you can check if you're in one using this web site Smoke Control Areas

Just speak to your local council if your in one

That's definitely the most useful post yet 'cos it shows that my Council doesn't have any Smoke Control Areas at all (and we've got mains gas - gonna get us one of those television thingies next year).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's definitely the most useful post yet 'cos it shows that my Council doesn't have any Smoke Control Areas at all (and we've got mains gas - gonna get us one of those television thingies next year).

Thanks! I'm in Mid Sussex not far from you and we have mains gas and no smoke restrictions.

So what does more damage to the environment? Me recycling waste wood from the estate, buning it into the wheelbarrow, seasoning and then burning in a stove, or someone pulling non-renewable fossil fuel out the gorund in Kirkuk or Alberta, sshipping it half way round the world, and then burning it in his prosche or four-wheel drive? Bonkers.

Burn and be proud, but make sure its seasoned and that you've got a good stove.

I had a letter then a visit from the Enviromental people. The letter came two days after I installed the stove, my idiot neighbour had reported it as making smoke, even though it hadn't actually been lit as we were told to leave it 48 hours for the heatproof silicone to set around the stovepipe. Idiot neighbour saw the stove arrive and the chimney liner go in, then the smoke from the smoketest canister and reported me.

The enviromental officer came along, asked what I was burning, so I said Homefire smokeless fuel and dry wood. He asked to see the DEFRA exemption certificate for the stove, took a photo of it and I haven't heard a thing since.

Stove is a Dunsley Yorkshire with back-boiler, it is approved to burn wood of 25% or less moisture in a smoke control area. It is an offence to make the dark smoke even if your stove is approved, except for an unforseeable malfunction or when lighting it.

In practice I start the stove on dry Sweet Chestnut which makes no smoke at all after 5 minutes, it also burns very hot, when the stove is fully hot and there is a bed of glowing coals for any smoke to be pulled down through ( the Yorkshire burns downwards ) then I can put any old logs on it with no visible smoke. A nice lump of hornbeam works well.

So what does more damage to the environment? Me recycling waste wood from the estate, buning it into the wheelbarrow, seasoning and then burning in a stove, or someone pulling non-renewable fossil fuel out the gorund in Kirkuk or Alberta, sshipping it half way round the world, and then burning it in his prosche or four-wheel drive? Bonkers.

Burn and be proud, but make sure its seasoned and that you've got a good stove.

Nobody said it had to make sense. Saw a advert on the Tv today trying to tell us how naughty we are for driving our cars. Then the same government are building a coal powered station in Kent. Mixed message?

I'm convinced that it's to rise "green" taxes.

If in doubt, go to the mouth of the horse.

20. Prohibition on emission of smoke in smoke control area.

— (1) If, on any day, smoke is emitted from a chimney of any building within a smoke control area, the occupier of the building shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) If, on any day, smoke is emitted from a chimney (not being a chimney of a building) which serves the furnace of any fixed boiler or industrial plant within a smoke control area, the person having possession of the boiler or plant shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) have effect—

(a) subject to any exemptions for the time being in force under section 18, 21 or 22;

(b) subject to section 51 (duty to notify offences to occupier or other person liable).

(4) In proceedings for an offence under this section it shall be a defence to prove that the alleged emission was not caused by the use of any fuel other than an authorised fuel.

(5) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(6) In this Part “authorised fuel” means a fuel declared by regulations of the Secretary of State to be an authorised fuel for the purposes of this Part.

21. Power by order to exempt certain fireplaces.

The Secretary of State may by order exempt any class of fireplace, upon such conditions as may be specified in the order, from the provisions of section 20 (prohibition of smoke emissions in smoke control area), if he is satisfied that such fireplaces can be used for burning fuel other than authorised fuels without producing any smoke or a substantial quantity of smoke.

Dark smoke is covered in part one: you're not allowed to emit that anywhere.

I had a letter then a visit from the Enviromental people. The letter came two days after I installed the stove, my idiot neighbour had reported it as making smoke, even though it hadn't actually been lit as we were told to leave it 48 hours for the heatproof silicone to set around the stovepipe. Idiot neighbour saw the stove arrive and the chimney liner go in, then the smoke from the smoketest canister and reported me.

The enviromental officer came along, asked what I was burning, so I said Homefire smokeless fuel and dry wood. He asked to see the DEFRA exemption certificate for the stove, took a photo of it and I haven't heard a thing since.

Stove is a Dunsley Yorkshire with back-boiler, it is approved to burn wood of 25% or less moisture in a smoke control area. It is an offence to make the dark smoke even if your stove is approved, except for an unforseeable malfunction or when lighting it.

In practice I start the stove on dry Sweet Chestnut which makes no smoke at all after 5 minutes, it also burns very hot, when the stove is fully hot and there is a bed of glowing coals for any smoke to be pulled down through ( the Yorkshire burns downwards ) then I can put any old logs on it with no visible smoke. A nice lump of hornbeam works well.

i have dunsley boilerone as well

and made a point of telling the neighbours it was a clean burn and i could burn logs

glad i paid the extra to stop hassle like peter had and i have a bag of smokeless fuel and some mega bone dry wood in the cellar just in case anyone comes knocking on my door

been there several years now:thumbup:

Nobody said it had to make sense. Saw a advert on the Tv today trying to tell us how naughty we are for driving our cars. Then the same government are building a coal powered station in Kent. Mixed message?

I'm convinced that it's to rise "green" taxes.

That's a good post too!!!:001_smile:

I went to our local coal merchant today ( sorry ,i know thats a swear word on here:001_tongue:) .Went through what was the cheapest stuff they do ,its only for the dining room ,as the stove in there seems to burn wood faster than i can put it on .It is a fairly old one .We have found that smokeless coal will last much,much longer on it .

Anyway ,they said they had bags of mixed stuff ,good for stoves @ just over £4 per 25kg bag .It looks like they gather up all the bits at the end of the day and bag em up for muppets like me to come along and buy .But when i put the bags into the bunker ,there was normal smoking coal in there :confused1: .

1 .They are being naughty for selling it as smokeless .

2. I am keeping all the bags it came in ,incase someone says i am burning nasty smoking coal :001_rolleyes:

Just wish i could find a good supply of wood near me to keep both stoves going . Parks trust wont deliver to me as we have telephone cables outside house ,they are worried about taking them out :001_rolleyes:.

So any one near me who can supply wood ,get in touch .Milton Keynes .

Cheers Mark