Mccolloch CS50S experiences?

neiln

bmp you point at the 3rd post...I'd love a 036 for £120, but that is an absolute steal. I'd be suspicious about any saw on Gumtree, either that saw was nicked or it was a non-runner at that price surely? and also don't know enough to determine what might be or might not be seriously broken with a non-runner, or with a runner for that matter. That poster admits to CAD (=Chainsaw Addiction Disease) so probably knows a lot more than I do.

bmp you point at the 3rd post...I'd love a 036 for £120, but that is an absolute steal. I'd be suspicious about any saw on Gumtree, either that saw was nicked or it was a non-runner at that price surely? and also don't know enough to determine what might be or might not be seriously broken with a non-runner, or with a runner for that matter. That poster admits to CAD (=Chainsaw Addiction Disease) so probably knows a lot more than I do.

I was quoting the third post primarily to point out that the saw you were looking at it isn't popular here, rightly or wrongly. ...

In view of that 'fact', I suspect you are flogging a dead horse trying to get an opinion on the specific weak points of that model, with your intended type of use.

About that Stihl 036, yeah of course it was a bargain and no point going looking for that exact saw. Neither is it worth looking on that auction site IMHO, the audience is too big for good deals and the asking prices are usually top dollar anyway. But Gumtree, local ads etc can often throw up a deal or two so long as you are flexible in what you are after.

Are you in a position to make an informed second hand buy? I'd say so, you've used a saw for a start, you know how they should work, you'd recognise a maintained vs neglected saw. Buy locally, get the saw demonstrated and try it for yourself. I think there are a lot of good saws for sale that just don't get used for various reasons.

bmp01 (also an engineer, also inflicted with CAD).

bmp, I agreed already that I've realised the forum users are mainly pros and not likely to use homeowner saws. I'm not asking for specific failures of this model, I meant do others agree that the lack of coils and carbs probably sends a greater percentage of cheap saws off to the bin, I wandered if the want of any other parts also contribute to a large number.

Not sure local adds are as much use to me, there aren't a lot of chainsaw users in zone 3 south london. However thanks for the views about (I presume) ebay. With ebay you are also basically buying the seller, you have to trust the seller and what they say as you only have their description and some photos to go on. That said, thanks Peatff, that looks a tidy saw, very few scuffs although he says the bar has been repainted. Its now on my watch list.

I've never thoght before what I'd look for if assessing a used saw. I've only used my own little stihl. My thoughts now would be:

1. visual appearance - does it look abused or worked hard

2. bar rails - worn to f*** or ok?

3. chain - sharp or? olly or ?

4. chain brake - work?

5. Does the chain move ok and is the tension ok?

6. pull out and check starter rope

7. does engine turn over ok as starter rope pulled slowly?

8. Is saw fueled and oiled? go to view with both mix and oil in case seller has none.

9. does saw start? does it idle? does it rev freeely?

10. does it cut ok (run ok under load)? may need to take a log or 2 as you go to view

11. listen for strange noises and look for excessive smoke

I guess I'd weed out some lemons but I know I'd miss a lot too, i don't have experience with enough saws.

I would discount consumables . Chain for example . Its not hard to completely ruin a brand new chain ( on a brand new saw ) in seconds . So if the chain is fecked knock off the price of a chain . etc etc .

Agreed, similar with a bar. equally a brand new chain and bar means nothing. Think I'd be more impressed with a used chain that is well sharpened, it would suggest the user new a bit at least.

Oh and I forgot, I'd check the oiler worked too.

• 3 years later...
On 19/05/2017 at 11:24, neiln said:

I'd be very happy with an older used Stihl second hand so long as it had no major problems. However I'm too busy to buy a fixerupa and learn to fix it, and not knowledgeable enough to know what to look for to ensure I didn't buy a saw with problems!

As you say, I guess no one here has used the mccolloch. Most people here seem to be pros using higher end tools and the mccolloch is probably not the type pf tool they usually look into.

I shan't be buying it though, the info I'm getting from others is that mccolloch are poor and spares aren't available so when they break you bin them. It's possible the CS50S is a better saw, but I'm not going to risk it unless I start to hear good reviews from the UK users.

I’ve had CS50S for around 2 years and it’s  still going strong ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fishwish said:

I’ve had CS50S for around 2 years and it’s  still going strong ?

I have had a few good McCullochs over the years and spares ARE easily available ( much more than before thats t'web ) their worst aspect was they were sold in hundreds at B an Q to hundreds of idiots who couldnt mix fuel and blunted them cutting pallets then said ' wot a shit saw'  K

Edited by Khriss
( mate had one in shed fr years - i tuned carb sharpened chain an he sai ' thats cutting better than it was new!'
  • Like 1