Who's going to The Arb Show 2017 next week?!

Giant UK

Who's going to the Arb Show. Me. First time as well, (for good reason).

Camping Friday night, maybe stay Saturday night as well, just not decided yet. Long way to travel.

Maybe the AA should employ a geographer. The north, and I mean the north, doesn't start at Watford Gap and end at Birmingham, beyond which are uncharted lands and be monsters.

Come on, move it around a bit, the same as you, the AA, do the conference, not! You're supposedly a national organisation.

Regards

Grumpy of up north

Edward the real reason it's always darn sarf is quite simple, it allows the southern boys more time in the morning to put there nail varnish on and the don't have to get up too early!

Hi Edward,

Unfortunately the ARB Show is unlikely to be moving from Westonbirt anytime soon, sorry :001_huh: However, hopefully the draw of visiting The National Arboretum at the same time will compensate...at least a little.

A big issue here for the Association is one of logistics and resource. Believe it or not the show "build up" started middle of last week and hence the fact that 'most' AA staff are within 30-40mins drive of Westonbirt it makes it much more accessible and thereby viable as a venue.

Conference, is another story, with more to follow in due course.

The Association aims to be more active "up norf" delivering training and seminars but the reality is still that some are cancelled due to lack of take up...hopefully this will change in the future.

Should you feel inclined to "rattle anybody's cage" about this at the show, aim for Stewart (CEO) and/or Simon Richmond (Training & Events Manager)...PHEW :001_rolleyes:

Anything to do with accreditations, i.e. ARB Approved Contractor of AA Registered Consultant = "poke me!" [emoji106]1:

Thanks for the post and hope you have a great, great show..

Paul

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the excuses are a little lame. I've been to quite a few seminars that have been well attended at places like Myrescough, Leeds, and York, albeit they are all still down south.

I rattled Karens cage at an amenity conference a couple of years ago regards lack of up north, and also about the AAAC scheme value for money. I think Jamie Bray was also in on the second conversation. On the latter point I will say it's better now that when I was an AAAC. I never saw it as just about the bottom line, good job really. There are many other good reasons to do it, so I did. On the really positive side, the promotion of the scheme over the last few years has seen numbers of AAAC contractors up north increase and in my last previous life as an LPA Tree Officer I'd always advise using one when asked to recommend a tree surgeon. And now there's one for them to use. But the public need to know, and that is key. You must raise awareness outside the industry.

If you don't try to promote stuff up north, no one will go, and the bleating excuses like 'the reality is still that some are cancelled due to lack of take up' becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. So try harder, and do more. It does work if you want it to. Not everything should be at your convenience 30 minutes down the road. We all pay the same fees, we should all get the same benefits, even those who live more than 30-40 minutes from the Malthouse.

I'll take you up on your offer of a moan in person, see you at the AA stand.

Heard this moan about everything being too far south for years now. Gustharts went to the effort of organising a show at Newcastle a few years back. Me and Andy Collins drove up for it, but sadly not many others did.

Edward the real reason it's always darn sarf is quite simple, it allows the southern boys more time in the morning to put there nail varnish on and the don't have to get up too early!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

...and to blow dry mi'er too a'course as have to look good for you guys :001_rolleyes:

SUGGESTION (to all norf'eners) - get involved with the Northern Branch and facilitate events yourself via this mechanism. This approach works extremely well for the SE Branch and they often host main stream events too.

Cheers, n hope to see you at the show.

Paul

Anyone camping?

Guarantee it will be absolutely packed out at the pub. It is every year and is a really good night.

I go to the shows for the social side more than kit to be honest. It's nice to have a walk around the show, sober up a bit before the next nights party, see what's new and have a good chat with tree mates from around the country but going for cheap deals is now 10 years past it's best due to the internet driving prices down.

Last year I bought a stump grinder and got a good deal but for the smaller bits unless you are spending £k's then what you have spent on fuel and entry you will not save on the stands. I firmly believe this is part of the reason some of the big players in the tool supply game aren't going.

Going back about 5 years to one of the FR Jones shows I drove 250 miles to get there and on the first day only saw the hog roast, beer tent and friends!!

Heard this moan about everything being too far south for years now. Gustharts went to the effort of organising a show at Newcastle a few years back. Me and Andy Collins drove up for it, but sadly not many others did.

I nearly went to the Gustharts show but it was 100 miles north of me and if I remember correctly there was a biblical down pour.

It will take me 3 hours to get to the AA show. Well worth it with the camping, arboretum, big number of suppliers and the social side. I can't think of anywhere further north that could stage the same event and Westonbirt isn't exactly difficult to get to.

It will take me 3 hours to get to the AA show. Well worth it with the camping, arboretum, big number of suppliers and the social side. I can't think of anywhere further north that could stage the same event and Westonbirt isn't exactly difficult to get to.

Hi Kev, and "bravo" :001_rolleyes: ...be sure t'call in at the AA tent n I'll make sure you're served up a double-portion of biccies.

Joking apart, I'm glad to hear you feel the journey is so worthwhile, thank you :thumbup1:

See ya soon,

Paul

Once again I find this a lame excuse, and you are missing, or avoiding, the point. The Arb Show, which we are discussing, and as an aside the Amenity Conference, are organised by HQ not a Branch. It's your remit to take it to the members who you serve. And you serve the whole membership throughout the whole of the UK.

I have occasionally contributed via the northern branch over many years, and I know many of them well. I also support by going to events when possible.

Your demonstration of a southern-centric view by recommending the SE Branch as an exempler does nothing to inspire confidence that the AA is interested in anyone north of Watford Gap. We in the north pay the same fees as those down south. We have a right to the same standards of benefits, courses, seminars etc. put on by HQ. Furthermore, there is nothing in the AA's charter stating it only represents the south of England. So come on, stop the lame excuses, get out of your bunker. You are not little islanders fixated on, at worst, a world that extends no further than 30 to 40 minutes from HQ, and at best no further north than Watford Gap. You represent all of your members equally, or at least you should. And we deserve our fair share of Arb Shows and Conferences and other HQ organised events/courses/seminars/.

It's not at all exclusive to the Northern Monkeys Ed. Try looking at the Cornwall branch diary....

Constantly have this argument/problem being in the NE of Scotland, want to better ourselves but the nearest course this year is 7hr drive away. Saying that I'm flying the lads down the arb show.

Excellent, I'll see if we can prep a landing pad / runway :001_rolleyes:

Joking apart, THANK YOU, that's one hell of a commitment for you and your guys. Again, perhaps more involvement with the Scotland Branch, granted this tends to be more Edinburgh / Perth centric, could result in more activity in your region...ish.

Thanks again :thumbup1:

Paul