Pruning out a natural brace in a tree may be unwise....

Do you know if these workshops are a repeat of last years seminars, or something new again? I've seen them advertised and assumed that 'due to popular demand' they were the same.

The seminar/workshop at Myerscough was very interesting and raised food for thought.

Not sure Gary, probably some previous and some new detail I'd expect. As usual, I'll probably have to drive 100's of miles to get to one...😒

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm like Doctor Who Gary, phasing in and out time zones across the universe in search of interesting tree mechanics :sneaky2:

I'm at work today, I'll nip out with a saw and pop the brace, then we can categorically state whether or not the 'held' section will fail or not.........be back in a mo ! :biggrin:

DON'T!

That would only answer the question regarding the support provided now, go back 70-100 years and remove it - too see how the tree reacts and what it would be like today.

Who knows, removal 70 years ago may have led to a failure that killed a VIP and you'll come back to a very different industry in 2017:biggrin:

This space time continuum (sp?) is just hurting my brain - back to work myself.

Not sure Gary, probably some previous and some new detail I'd expect. As usual, I'll probably have to drive 100's of miles to get to one...

Never mind, when Cornwall fills its vacancy for someone to spearhead achieving the title of 'European Capital of Culture in 2020 (or 2022?), there will be all these events in Truro:thumbup1:

I think the job comes with a remuneration @£50K as well. Bargain:biggrin:

Never mind, when Cornwall fills its vacancy for someone to spearhead achieving the title of 'European Capital of Culture in 2020 (or 2022?), there will be all these events in Truro:thumbup1:

I think the job comes with a remuneration @£50K as well. Bargain:biggrin:

😂 that's a splash in the ocean of the £500k scoping exercise to decide wether to submit a bid.....

Hold on, bugger, I could have gone for that job....

If only there hadn't been such misinformation around the Brexit campaign I might have voted Remain...

Mmmmmm, maybe not!

PS - Truro is too far away as well! And, since the Cornwall (dormant) branch of AA is there, never has been much point going on there!

I am not disputing this theory but I need more data to make this my practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The data is there in nature, and it's been how we carry out work mature trees for the last 10 years. David humphries also started a thread around this a few years back.

It seems only now that it is becoming more recognised.

Do you know if these workshops are a repeat of last years seminars, or something new again? I've seen them advertised and assumed that 'due to popular demand' they were the same.

The seminar/workshop at Myerscough was very interesting and raised food for thought.

There's more of an onus on branch attachment models in the current workshops.

Is that an incomplete sentence?

Should it continue:

An ellipsis, that is the row of dots/full stops, usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning. So to answer your question. No.

Also, ellipses comprise three dots/full stops.

Useful!

But....

Not my text, just a cut & paste....

😂

Perhaps some of these presenters haven't been 'watching' individual braces for long enough.

Here's one I've been watching for over 60 years.

oakgraft2.jpg.cd5746e80f1767deefbfcea2db1c6a30.jpg

As my mother walked with me in pushchair and my, older, sister from my grand parents to home I would run to get to this tree first and my sister and I would look through the hole formed by two coppice stems crossing at about 75cms from the ground, unfortunately I never thought to take a photo as the hole was closed by the growing stems until now.

oakgraft1.jpg.cf1bdbc54293b63ea3c28c76fb5ee446.jpg

Hi Gary. Do you know something the rest of us don't. By 2020/2022 Cornwall will not be a part of Europe. So they can save all that money by not applying for something they can't win because they're not part of the EU. Unless of course Cornwall is going to declare UDI so it can remain in the EU to protect its pasties regional status.

Almost as crazy as the last minute.com bid compilation and submission process is the fact that you don't actually have to be "in" Europe to be nominated as European City of Culture!

A bit like Oz and Russia in Eurovision I guess....

https://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/news-by-industry/public-sector-news-categories/2017/02/council-confirms-capital-of-culture-bid/

Just another totally crazy decision from a LA with spectacularly low public esteem!

(minute.co m not an intentional link... please ignore!)