560 woes

Pinkfoot

Must have been Karma if you were clearing an orchard :001_smile:

Whilst Spud said mine may have been piston slap, as the piston skirt was very thin, I wondered if it might have been the clutch side bearing having a bit of play and allowing the bottom of the piston skirt to touch the bobweight on that side (I suppose the 560 has a disc with stuffer rather than bobweight?) because the triangular bit missing from the skirt was on that side.

There used to be hundreds of orchards here .

Some have been left wild by the local shoots , some by new owners.

All have phenomenal amount of wildlife in them.

East Malling bred dwarfing rootstock , one of which was ideal for growing apples on the continent , with no royalties .

This helped hugely the demise of the English apple industry.

I am just helping the French.

Was your 560 salvaged?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East Malling bred dwarfing rootstock , one of which was ideal for growing apples on the continent , with no royalties .

Yes I saw a bit on TV about the "donation". They could do with the money now, I worked there for a few days pyrolysing seaweed for biochar trials.

Was your 560 salvaged?

Mine was a Stihl 026 and I retired it as it was very old and beyond economic repair, bought the chap a ms261 which he was pleased with, he had battled on with the 026 since before I joined the old company without complaint so several years. I followed it six months later.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I met Mr Pinkfoot and have now been at his saw...not good news as the bits of piston found their way in to the combustion chamber and when the piston came up, the crown hit the pieces, couldn't go any further and that force was put on the small and big end, smashing them up:thumbup:

Amazingly, the cylinder is fine and now have a way forward so repair is on the cards.

IMG_20170510_092300162.jpg.580b391f25cecbee4c189c3d420c016a.jpg

IMG_20170510_094835091_HDR.jpg.c8ccc4be5fe22bddf6a35b1aa2a4d555.jpg

IMG_20170510_094926892.jpg.c46d242136a7a8b40030d8d80e9ee8f8.jpg

IMG_20170510_094942711_HDR.jpg.130ea8cecc1b066ee93f7fd8a6a7134e.jpg

No, not fuel/oil related. I think the piston skirt just shattered, the bits got between the piston and squish band and aluminium doesn't compress like air does so the full impact went back to the con rod ends and shattered the big end cage and the small end.

I have seen some rebuilds having missed the big end cage and it just spits out metal which takes out the cylinder:thumbdown: Had a few fractures in the cage but the cylinder looked in remarkable shape with zero damage!

Just bad luck I think!

So is the short block the best way forward Steve ? I seem to remember the Conrod and bearings separate was more or about the same to replace!

That's the plan Matty.

It's good to find someone who knows what they are doing

sent from my phone but never in work time.