Local council doing private/contracting work

walkerboys

Here's another thought. If a planning department passed on details of TPO application to fell or have work on it, wouldn't it then be a breach of the Data Protection Act. After all it includes the name and address of the applicant etc which they are then passing on to a third party (because the arb squad aren't in the planning dept)

Just a thought and maybe worth following through!

Mike

Pondered that, I think not because planning app's are, necessarily, in the public domain. They could (if available) be viewed online by anyone.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the vats majority of Arb managers/owners on this forum were put in charge of said local authority Arb budget they would make a great success of it! Imagine that massive budget to be spent on kit, having the customer having someone they can trust (you can sue the **** out of the council if **** goes south) the problem is it's not a profit driven organisation!

So top management does not give a **** as long as H&S is being complied with and there ain't too many sick days!

NOTHING ELSE MOTIVATES THESE GUYS 😡

If the vats majority of Arb managers/owners on this forum were put in charge of said local authority Arb budget they would make a great success of it! Imagine that massive budget to be spent on kit, having the customer having someone they can trust (you can sue the **** out of the council if **** goes south) the problem is it's not a profit driven organisation!

So top management does not give a **** as long as H&S is being complied with and there ain't too many sick days!

NOTHING ELSE MOTIVATES THESE GUYS [emoji35]

I'm in the lucky (or unlucky) position of working full time for local Council while at the same time, running my own business so I'm possibly able to speak from both sides of the coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

On which points? There has been several raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

A true councilman's answer 😄

What's the general opinion from within so to say? Is it one of "it's extra competition, tough, deal with it"?

Do you think it's fair for the council to quote on work essentially landing on their laps?

I personally think it's an unfair advantage using public funds with a list of hundreds of jobs to potentially price up.

Of course one would think that the council have completed tending to & doing all the council work that needs doing 1st before looking to make money off private jobs.

Interested to know how you see it all.

Sent from my D6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

Sorry for the swears in the post last night I was a bottle of red down 🍷!

By 2020 all government funding for councils will end. The government has made it clear that councils have to become self sufficient I believe they are now allowed to collect business rates.

They are now being run as a business rather than a service.

So they will try and make money wherever they can which will in theory go back in to running the council and benefit the constituents.

Sorry for the swears in the post last night I was a bottle of red down 🍷!

By 2020 all government funding for councils will end. The government has made it clear that councils have to become self sufficient I believe they are now allowed to collect business rates.

They are now being run as a business rather than a service.

So they will try and make money wherever they can which will in theory go back in to running the council and benefit the constituents.

Do you think this is a good, or bad thing?

It would depend on how efficient the council is at managing their finances wouldn't it ? If they just see it as an opportunity to put rates up to cover their inefficiencies like the power companies seem able to do instead of using their money sensibly and setting some aside for running costs. We all know which it is going to be so I'm saying it's a bad thing. A friend of mine runs a small shop and has been told his business rates are set to double which will effectively mean it's no longer worth trading.

Considering the post where someone is working for the council and also their self surely that is a conflict of interest.

Edited by peatff

I have worked for both councils that do and don't do private work. In theory it's a no brainier for the councils as they already have the kit and the infrastructure.

In practice less emphasis is put on the council trees and more on building the private client base. With a lot of creative accounting to make sure the private work looks good on the accounts.

This being said the money then goes back into the council which can't be a bad thing.