A public "good" must be paid for from the public purse

kevinjohnsonmbe

Yup, I think you've hit the nail in the head!!

Alternatively, why should farmers not make as good a living as bankers?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

true, why should farmers not make as good a living as bankers, why should we not all make as good a living as bankers, and if we can't turn a decent profit why should we not all be subsidised?:thumbup:

true, why should farmers not make as good a living as bankers, why should we not all make as good a living as bankers, and if we can't turn a decent profit why should we not all be subsidised?:thumbup:

It's food!

Can't eat trees.

Lots of people are subsidised. Child Benifit, tax credits, housing benefit, the list is endless.

Should I get a tax rebate because Mrs Egg and I have never claimed these benefits?

true but what i'm saying is if one farmer can't make his land profitable, why not instead of subsidising him, make him sell to a farmer who can, we still get the food but without having to pay the farmer AND the supermarket he sells to? Why should I pay for the same bag of potatoes twice just so the farmer can keep up the style he is used to?

Edited by flatyre

true but what i'm saying is if one farmer can't make his land profitable, why not instead of subsidising him, make him sell to a farmer who can, we still get the food but without having to pay the farmer AND the supermarket he sells to?

Bollox, far too wide a brushstroke to have any meaning.

Lots of people are subsidised. Child Benifit, tax credits, housing benefit, the list is endless.

Should I get a tax rebate because Mrs Egg and I have never claimed these benefits?

I think in relation to career choices etc if you can't make your business work try another business.

true but what i'm saying is if one farmer can't make his land profitable, why not instead of subsidising him, make him sell to a farmer who can, we still get the food but without having to pay the farmer AND the supermarket he sells to?

The problem is the only farmers who can are large, usually more intensive, farms. From an economic point of view you're right but I would rather see more small businesses be sustainable.

The biggest reason I think we need subsidies (although I think they need a massive overhaul) is because UK farms can't compete with the rest of the world because of all the restrictions here. I like the fact our country has high welfare standards and we look after the environment but it's an inefficient way of farming and financially makes no sense so subsidies or higher prices are needed.

generally the bigger the business the more efficient it is, i'm not saying struggling farmers should let their land go to waste and become a mass of brambles and whin bushes, but sell to a bigger farm that is more streamlined, efficient, and profitable