Is a >6" chipper needed?

Mark Wileman

Thanks for the support, a rare thing on the internet.

My thoughts on getting a smaller chipper are that I would use that far more, initially at least, than I would a grinder. I doubt I'll be jumping into my own removal jobs right away, and if I got lucky enough to get one, I can just hire.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with chippers smaller than 6" is that they require a lot of prep time preparing the material to chip.

I've had a range of chippers from 5" to 12". Bigger is better without a doubt BUT with that comes cost,expense and handling issues. From the otherside any good chipper is better than no chipper.

The Greenmech CS100 goes for reasonable money even second hand.

By prep you mean getting rid of bends, forks, twists and the like?

Keeping everything over 4/5" will mean everything has to be processed to a certain degree before chipping anyway. I think the productivity of the site won't be great with a smaller chipper, but as you say, its better than nothing and I certainly can't afford a 6"+ at this stage of the game.

The big appeal for me for a smaller chipper is that I can throw it on the back of my truck and still have the towing space for a trailer to shift the chip, logs out. I don't want to get a tipper for a couple of years as I'll be using my pickup as my primary vehicle and for other stuff too.

Thanks.

Edited by wiley

The same way I priced jobs as an apprentice carpenter 10 years ago, asking advice from experienced people, applying skills learnt during training courses and ignoring the guys who preach that you have to spend 5 years dragging bush before you'll be allowed to put a harness on, let alone quote a job. :)

A lot can be learnt dragging brash so don't knock it, dragged plenty of brash myself today.

I started out wanting to start my own business but it never happened partly because I wanted to be the best climber I could be, eventually I found I earned a good lick from it without any of the stress of trying to build a business which being honest with myself I wouldn't be good at... I am also a massive tree snob and only want to do the finest specimen trees.

Anyway back on topic, to be honest some of the wee chippers look bloody good such as the JoBeau? chippers from Global.

And the risk of going that road and doing the simpler weekend jobs to build your way is probably a wise route to take.

That or buy a second hand 6" plenty out there.

By prep you mean getting rid of bends, forks, twists and the like?

Keeping everything over 4/5" will mean everything has to be processed to a certain degree before chipping anyway. I think the productivity of the site won't be great with a smaller chipper, but as you say, its better than nothing and I certainly can't afford a 6"+ at this stage of the game.

The big appeal for me for a smaller chipper is that I can throw it on the back of my truck and still have the towing space for a trailer to shift the chip, logs out. I don't want to get a tipper for a couple of years as I'll be using my pickup as my primary vehicle and for other stuff too.

Thanks.

Have a look at the Jo Beau as they offer Six models up to 5", they will serve you well & hold there price. There are plenty on here who have purchased 2" wee chippers & been very pleased, give me a shout if you need further info.

I'd stick the mini chipper in the trailer with the logs, use the back of the pickup for chippings...

I suspect the only real difference betwixt a mini chipper and 6inch towed affair is time saved chipping..

You could buy a ten inch chipper then you'd need a much bigger truck all of a sudden..

Best to keep it simple at first, take your time as you learn your craft and build your equipment base on your experience and needs..

A lot can be learnt dragging brash so don't knock it, dragged plenty of brash myself today.

I started out wanting to start my own business but it never happened partly because I wanted to be the best climber I could be, eventually I found I earned a good lick from it without any of the stress of trying to build a business which being honest with myself I wouldn't be good at... I am also a massive tree snob and only want to do the finest specimen trees.

Anyway back on topic, to be honest some of the wee chippers look bloody good such as the JoBeau? chippers from Global.

And the risk of going that road and doing the simpler weekend jobs to build your way is probably a wise route to take.

That or buy a second hand 6" plenty out there.

Thanks for the reply, yeah by no means was that a comment implying that I would'nt drag brash. :P I've just read an awful lot of people on here who knock everyone for trying to get a start without year spent on the ground first.

I'll have a look at some of those brands.

I'm under no illusions that everything will just fall into place, as I said SE sub contractor is the plan, but in order to start a client base for the future (and get to start shifting some fire wood on the side) I would like to do my own stuff too.

By big concern about a 6" is that by towing a big chipper, I won't have anything other than the back of my pick up to chip into and take wood out, and with a load limit of 1050kg, it won't really be achievable. Much rather tow a 3500kg trailer to hold chip and logs and throw the chipper on the back of the truck.