Depression

eggsarascal

I have never suffered depression until two years ago. But thanks to my wife's increasing drink problem and personality disorders the verbal abuse caused my problem. I managed to shake it off in my home gym much to my wife's annoyance but when I injured my knee water skiing that went out the window. As I progressed into a messy divorce my doctor strongly recommended happy pills. Which I have been on for a year. I would say they are a huge help especially if you are injured or severely depressed.

I found Italk was a big help some councillors better than others.

The right healthy food and good diet are a must.

Excercise releases the same chemicals in the brain the pills do so well worth doing.

Alcohol is a depressant leave it alone if like a good drink and regularly it will take a few months for the cravings to go.

Take time out to treat yourself. Don't feel guilty and stuff the work get off on some mini breaks we are only here once

• Like 1

I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one that is as mad as a balloon.

The thought of seeing Ian C's face when he's handing over a fiver to get me a pint is priceless.

The down side is thinking about sharing a tent with Bolam and Newton...... That's just wrong in so many ways.

Thanks for the reply's.

🙄 you trying to say I'm tight Eggs! Your probably right but not as tight as joes arse so I'm told! Now there's a thought!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Haha 1

Cognitive therapy, mindfulness , wellness, meditation all sounds like a load of mumbo jumbo for wimps but I tell you what it works.

You are often being told the obvious but we lead such busy stressfull lives we over look the simple things.

If your business is failing you need a holiday.

If your business is doing well you can afford a holiday.

Basically look after yourselves 🙂

Cognitive therapy, mindfulness , wellness, meditation all sounds like a load of mumbo jumbo for wimps but I tell you what it works.

You are often being told the obvious but we lead such busy stressfull lives we over look the simple things.

Basically look after yourselves [emoji846]

Sounded like mumbo jumbo to me too but the more I spoke with professionals the more it made sense. There's another thing worth Googling too and that's the Amygdala hijack. For those that suffer anxiety attacks etc. it's worth understanding why and how you can possibly combat it with meditation etc. if you can actually master it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's probably in all our basic make up - our resting state is to be unhappy - for survival. If we were happy and content then we wouldn't do much... In our country we have most of our basic needs met - it actually takes away meaning in our lives.

(my missus has been a therapist for 16 years and the above is from her).

This is so right. It's also the reason people can never have enough money.

Also think of all the greats, e.g Winston Churchill that lived with it.

Coping is knowing you'll pull out of it and avoiding risky situations when the black dog bites. I have had two avoidable injuries both when my reactions were adversely affected by my state of mind.

Basically look after yourselves 🙂

Mindfulness really helped me very hard to do to begin with but once you have the hang of it it shuts the mind down.

Can anyone explain wellness as that's a new one?

I would strongly advise against that. Not to be specific on an open forum someone I know went on pills for depression. They caused night terrors a deepening depression (which they all do for the first 2 weeks) and suicidal thoughts which ultimately led to a suicide attempt. A gp will not be trained properly and will give them out like candy but without realising the full effects. Even coming off them causes problems (research it along with brain zaps)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Well they obviously had a crap GP, the right antidepressant in low does can kick the mind into action, needs monitoring weekly, takes 10 -14 days plus to work, obviously need therapy on top. other suggestions on here are good.

ask to see local ATS if things are terrible can be seen by psych, ask gp for referral