Looking into jumping in

Lloydie

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, I've caused you to get all sensitive.

I was merely pointing out that getting some kit together and going straight up a tree could go wrong in so many ways, and as such is terrible advice.

How do you propose one would learn how to use said kit? Unverified YouTube videos? Instruction manuals?

To the OP, if you want to get a taste for climbing, reach out to a few climbers in your area, I'm sure someone would spend a morning climbing with you for a few beers in the afternoon. Failing that, the Arb Show is a good place to get a feel for it if you can make it.

Vespasian. What climbing experience do you have to advise the OP on?

Well its not like I said get some kit climb a 300ft tree is it...

I said learn how to use it... its not hard is it.. what does it amount to?.. tying a piece of rope to yourself and using it to aid climbing of tree...

Sure it can be dangerous, then I'd already said learn how to use it... so now he knows how to rig a climbing line, he knows how to get twenty foot up a tree to practice his craft....

You really do complicate things....

Its not like climbing a tree is hard, a monkey can do it after all.....

As to experience, I've done hundreds of tree's over the years... most of em done freestyle, I like to roll like that, I like to put it on the edge.....

Still, I have begun using modern methods of late, I thought it might look cool choppin a tree with loads of shiny gear on as I go about my business...

This.

You can't give a guy a harness a rope some prusik loops and send him on his way to experiment on his tod!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

True, I wouldn't lend klimbing kit either - too much liability and moral issues. But some people are fine jumping in the deep end - watch a few vids and just go for it, that's how I learned. Can't say it's the best way, but sometimes the only realistic way depending on the situation. But then again, I'm very physically cautious, have ample free time to mess around and generally have gotten into things for which I already had transferable skills and muscle memory. If a guy is compenant at roofing, let's say, it's not a million miles away from tree surgery. The variables being the site is random, moving, and the wood it green and subject to unpredictable (at first) forces. But an experienced roofer would be able to adapt much more quickly than eg. a plumber. Just rambling thoughts..

Its not like climbing a tree is hard, a monkey can do it after all.....

As to experience, I've done hundreds of tree's over the years... most of em done freestyle, I like to roll like that, I like to put it on the edge.....

Still, I have begun using modern methods of late, I thought it might look cool choppin a tree with loads of shiny gear on as I go about my business...

I think you misunderstood the OP, he's considering getting into tree surgery, not lopping fruit trees and cleaning gutters.

I think you misunderstood the OP, he's considering getting into tree surgery, not lopping fruit trees and cleaning gutters.

No, I understood what he asked, he wants to get into tree choppin for a livin.

He thinks he may be scarred of heights.. well then its pointless gettin tickets for this that an the other if after all his moneys gone he's still terrified of heights...

Better to find out if he is before throwing good money down the drain on a forlorn exercise isn't it?....

Gutters, I might just stick an add in the paper for doin that, maybe late in the year running through to spring... pair of ladders an a raincoat, must be easy money....