Looking into jumping in

Lloydie

No it isn't terrible advice, first off he said he wasn't sure if he could handle heights...

Well then, be pointless spending months dragging brash about, getting tickets for this that and the other only to find he's scarred witless fifteen ft off the ground...

So sending him off to a park to climb trees with equipment he's not familiar with on his own to see if he freezes when the wind gets up is a good idea?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your basic chainsaw tickets cs 31/32 and chipper ticket possibley even trailer liscence too if you can afford it.Spend a while being groundie.Trust me good groundies are hard to get and hard to keep a hold of.

I really would advise you to hang off on the climbing,the kit is expensive and you dont even know if you've good the cojones for it.

However if your adamant you want too climb then contact a local tree surgeon(reputable helps)ask to come to his next job and watch him climb.

Bribe him with coffee,cake and many many fags,ask him-nicely-if he wouldnt mind takin you a wee climb one day in a local park.If hes in a good mood-this is where the many fags comes in-he'll take you a reccie climb,low and slow is the way to go on your first climb.

Good luck

You'll need it

Buy some climbing gear and learn how to use it, off to a local park and climb a few tree's...

You'll soon know if you've an aptitude for it after climbing a tree or two....

Just what I was going to suggest. I think it's very good advice, really don't understand the negativity. While kit is certainly expensive, there are bound to be ways and means. Second hand, borrow, rent, buy and re-sell, whatever, where there's a will there's a way. If you can get some informal coaching great, but even if you can, be sure to watch loads of YouTube tutorials as well. You might get hooked, and even if climbing trees turns out to not be your thing, you could go sideways into industrial rope access work.

Just what I was going to suggest. I think it's very good advice, really don't understand the negativity. While kit is certainly expensive, there are bound to be ways and means. Second hand, borrow, rent, buy and re-sell, whatever, where there's a will there's a way. If you can get some informal coaching great, but even if you can, be sure to watch loads of YouTube tutorials as well. You might get hooked, and even if climbing trees turns out to not be your thing, you could go sideways into industrial rope access work.
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Cheers guys, I'll look into trying to get some experience with someone local, or a climbing course to see if I can at least handle the heights. I don't mind them so much, isn't usually only when its like an open cliff edge with no safety and people about that I get a bit iffy, I've done abseiling no problems and enjoyed it in the past.

I've seen a few threads about people recommending fast track, but they were a few years ago, just thought it would be a better way to land me a job, even if I did have to start from a groundsman and build myself up, at least I would have my tickets if I was needed to do the job, and would at least have some experience to get an edge of getting one.

I know this profession wont be a walk in the park and it honestly seems like something i would like to be doing, the kid in me still thinks it is an awesome job/skill to have and would be fun.

Also does anyone know of any reading material that would be of usefulness before I manage to get into anything?

If you have the money for the fast track course go for it.

You may find that climbing isn't your thing but in equal measure you may find it is!

Surely using the colleges kit under the guidance of an instructor is the safest way to learn. You may have to man up and push yourself if you don't like it and worst case scenario is you may be happier to be a groundie but you'll offer aerial rescue and have a good understanding of what is going on in the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Apparently you mustn't of read what I wrote originally.. Learn how to use the equipment...

Perhaps I might tell you to "learn how to read"...:thumbdown:

Oh dear, I've caused you to get all sensitive.

I was merely pointing out that getting some kit together and going straight up a tree could go wrong in so many ways, and as such is terrible advice.

How do you propose one would learn how to use said kit? Unverified YouTube videos? Instruction manuals?

To the OP, if you want to get a taste for climbing, reach out to a few climbers in your area, I'm sure someone would spend a morning climbing with you for a few beers in the afternoon. Failing that, the Arb Show is a good place to get a feel for it if you can make it.

Vespasian. What climbing experience do you have to advise the OP on?

Oh dear, I've caused you to get all sensitive.

I was merely pointing out that getting some kit together and going straight up a tree could go wrong in so many ways, and as such is terrible advice.

How do you propose one would learn how to use said kit? Unverified YouTube videos? Instruction manuals?

To the OP, if you want to get a taste for climbing, reach out to a few climbers in your area, I'm sure someone would spend a morning climbing with you for a few beers in the afternoon. Failing that, the Arb Show is a good place to get a feel for it if you can make it.

Vespasian. What climbing experience do you have to advise the OP on?

This.

You can't give a guy a harness a rope some prusik loops and send him on his way to experiment on his tod!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app