Sharpening Chipper blades

Ackworth Arborists

I have a small gravity chipper with 4 chip blades on. I have just reversed them but will need a good sharpen soon how do you guys do it. Im guessing that the angle of the blade must remain the same to maximise chipping. So what do you use. It has been stood for ages and is now getting used properly not the usual hedges etc but now we do small tree works its going to need some extra care.

:001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...
I have a small gravity chipper with 4 chip blades on. I have just reversed them but will need a good sharpen soon how do you guys do it. Im guessing that the angle of the blade must remain the same to maximise chipping. So what do you use. It has been stood for ages and is now getting used properly not the usual hedges etc but now we do small tree works its going to need some extra care.

:001_smile:

I've a similar machine and I ordered new blades for it this afternoon but only because the old ones are now too short to be resharpened. I use a Multisharp Wetstone 3001. I made up a simple jig from 2x4 to get the exact angle and screw the blades to it for safety and accuracy.

The cutting edge MUST be kept cool, hence the built-in water trough on the drill-powered gadget, but to save time I use a small angle grinder to carefully remove metal which won't form the edge. The wetstone isn't large, otherwise the drill would burn out, so this method would take a long time on a big blade or if a stone or something has put a 'v' into the leading edge.

They're about 25 quid from Amazon so you can do the maths and figure out if it's worth the effort by comparing with the sharpening prices listed above, not forgetting postage and telephone costs, and waiting in for the package. I must have saved a fortune over the years plus I know that if my blades dull at the end of the day I can get them nice and sharp for the following morning :thumbup:.