Which Trailer

Robbo90

I am looking to purchase a trailer. In order of preference I am looking for a four wheeler with proper suspension (not rubber cones or bushes) The bed must be able to take a minimum of 8x4 sheets flat on the floor. I want sides on the trailer that are removable with the provision of possibly using greedy boards. Good tie down points that won't pull out. lockable coupling head, Ladder rack and prop stands.The rear tailgate to possibly be used as a loading ramp. Weight wise, I need something (as an indication of capacity) that can comfortably take the equivalent of half a dozen meter cube bags of logs, or a couple of large motorbikes, or a couple of ton of hardcore.

I know nothing about tippers. Do they go wrong very often and where are their strong and weak points?

I suppose Iam looking at spending approx 2500 of our best english coinage.

What trailer have you got and would you buy another one?

The trailer you have, what would you change to make it better?

The company you used, what is their after sales service like?

What have I missed from my list?

I have a 14x6.5ft Unsinn trailer referred to as the WEB 28. Two years of heavy use and only maintenance issues were replacing the front LED lights, which seem a bit susceptible to damage from pebble strikes etc. It's probably done 25,000 miles now and still draws compliments. Cheap as chips too (worth going to Germany to grab one):

Unsinn GTP 2642-13-2040 web28 - haengermarkt24

I have an ifor 12x6 tipper with high sides. Has the 8 foot ramps under the tipper.

Takes a load very well and tows nicely. The tipper is strong too.

I had a custom cover made that goes over the top and extends down the high sides so it can also be used for chipping into without dust and chip escaping.

My only real issue is its a big trailer and accessing some driveways or trying to find somewhere to park it on or near site can be tricky or simply a non starter.

Cant fault the build quality.

I've had two Ifor trailers for the past 24 years, and they are still going strong despite living on the coast. Thus far only maintenance has been tyres and one new axle after I stripped the threads when trying to service the wheel bearings.

Have a look at their site and see what suits you best - 6 bulk bags indicates a trailer much larger than that required for 8 x 4 sheets!

They have dealers all over the country but, despite living in Scotland, I have bought both of mine from Barlows in Preston.

I don't really like Ifors - very heavy and rather expensive too. That Unsinn model I linked to is under £2k plus VAT. I've absolutely hammered mine and it's still in great condition. I'm confident I could still sell it for close to what I paid for it.

Well nearly everyone seems to be Ifor fans and no one has told me to buy an Indistruction model..... not surprising really.

At least I can start looking more closely at the Ifor range now.

Thanks for the input guys.

...however, I recently purchased a indespension Alumax plant trailer and it's a great bit of kit, full weight down the motorway and you'd hardly know it was there very happy with it indeed and seems to be very well built despite being optimised for high payload weighing in it just 580kg.