Fishing addicts?

Big J

Fished for pretty much everything in my time except big 'sport' fish.

Wreck fishing is not difficult but gives a great buzz due to size and nature of fish caught!

Pike fishing is awesome - especially with spinners or lures/flies.

Mackerel fishing is great as it is so easy in any form and you get loads of mackerel to eat!

The best for me though has to be fly fishing for trout. Very light mobile gear stalking specific fish and trying to get the right fly and tactics for the day. You also get to eat what you catch which for me is partly the reason to do it.

SG

Definitely a chub there! Nice bag of roach too. I'm at the local trout fishery tomorrow which has thousands and thousands of roach. Mostly tiny, but the odd clunker (had one at 1lb 5oz a few weeks back). Plenty of trout too, which are great fun on the pole (several browns over 5lbs on the pole in the past few months).

We're having great success over here at the moment with the mild winter, simple tactics, chubber waggler with pint of loose maggots every 1.5hrs, no groundbait, two close to 2lbs in past few sessions. I'd say trout on the pole are good craic, I've caught pike on an adapted pole rig. Plenty of pike following the shoals of roach on the river, saw a couple of local lads bank 6 in 2hrs a few weeks back fishing opposite me. Heading to UK tonight, hopefully get a bit of chub fishing in on Sunday morn.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Any big pike lately then j ?

No, nothing chunky really. Two doubles this winter (10lb exactly and 11lb 7oz) but I've hardly had any days on waters likely to yield larger pike.

I'm contemplating doing a couple of days on the boat next week in the Highlands, but winter boat fishing in Northern Scotland requires grit, determination and some very favourable conditions. Not sure I've all those things in my favour!! That being said, I do really need to pull my finger out any get a 20lber already. I've had well over 300 pike in the past three years, 36 doubles and still no twenty!

John - I seem to have lost the knack with the trout on the pole a bit lately. I think possibly it's a hook issue as they keep jumping off (had some Drennan size 24s that were superb, but run out of them now and not getting on with the Kamasan replacements). Sounds like you're getting some outstanding fishing though. Coarse fishing is a struggle up here, even in summer. Winter is tough.

I would still love a 20 ..my mate had a 27 for his first pike when we invited him out one weekend.. all you need is bait he was told so he turns up with some smoked yellow kippers which left us sniggering .. he pulls out this 27lb about 10 minutes later , I was gobsmacked.

I've been told there a chance of big pike in the Dumfries area ?

I would still love a 20 ..my mate had a 27 for his first pike when we invited him out one weekend.. all you need is bait he was told so he turns up with some smoked yellow kippers which left us sniggering .. he pulls out this 27lb about 10 minutes later , I was gobsmacked.

I've been told there a chance of big pike in the Dumfries area ?

That takes the biscuit!! Not quite in the same league, but I took my friend piking and his first ever fish was 10lb 2oz. I blanked.

There are big pike everywhere. They recently drained a section of the canal locally and the largest pike electro fished was just over 24lbs. The issue is that (quite rightly) no one talks about the waters they catch large pike in. I'm currently at the start of trying to get permission to fish a reasonably local loch that I believe will have huge pike in it. Not ever 100% sure who owns it though!

I've been an angler since I was 6, fishing occupies my mind more than anything else. I often find if I can't fish for prolonged periods of time I turn into a right moody sod, it's at that point the wife tells me to go fishing for the night!

I fish for carp mainly but I've been going back to my roots and finding myself fishing rivers for barbel and chub more and more.

I'm contemplating doing a couple of days on the boat next week in the Highlands, but winter boat fishing in Northern Scotland requires grit, determination and some very favourable conditions. Not sure I've all those things in my favour!!

Get out there Big J . You might get a halibut the size of a coffee table :001_smile:

Get out there Big J . You might get a halibut the size of a coffee table :001_smile:

When I say boat fishing, I mean pike. It's a water I know well, and I have a fair idea where the pike are in winter, but unless it's fairly still, I won't go out. There is nowhere to hide from the weather in the middle of a loch!

I've been an angler since I was 6, fishing occupies my mind more than anything else. I often find if I can't fish for prolonged periods of time I turn into a right moody sod, it's at that point the wife tells me to go fishing for the night!

I fish for carp mainly but I've been going back to my roots and finding myself fishing rivers for barbel and chub more and more.

Know what you mean Cris getting really frustrated that the rivers seem to be in full spate every weekend or gale force winds now make fly fishing hopeless!