LOLER inspector training

Jamie

I'll be brief as i need to leave to get to the physio.

I'm thinking of doing my LOLER inspectors course.

I know i could get through the course i'm just trying to find out if it's worth it.

Not really too sure of what i'm asking but i've got to make my mind up by the end of the week.

Any thoughts anyone?

Jamie

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Financially, no its not worth it.

To make it worthwhile, you will need to get insurance to work as a loler inspector, and then to make that worthwhile you will need to spend hours sorting through other peoples kit, which will often arrive in a fertiliser sack smelling of diesel, with no markings or records. They will then be very disappointed when you fail a load of kit and never use you again.

However, I would still do it just for the personal satisfaction and amount of knowledge you will gain by doing the course. Plus you can inspect your own kit should you feel so inclined.

Jamie,

Very interesting course. Hard assessment. Less than 50% pass rate. I loved the course, passed the written exam and tripped up on the practical. So re doing it next month.

I dont see why it is not financially viable. At some of the prices quoted here for LOLER, even doing your own kit, the course will pay itself back quite quickly.

Doug Blease

Financially, no its not worth it.

To make it worthwhile, you will need to get insurance to work as a loler inspector, and then to make that worthwhile you will need to spend hours sorting through other peoples kit, which will often arrive in a fertiliser sack smelling of diesel, with no markings or records. They will then be very disappointed when you fail a load of kit and never use you again.

However, I would still do it just for the personal satisfaction and amount of knowledge you will gain by doing the course. Plus you can inspect your own kit should you feel so inclined.

That's the impression I got from Mr McTree the other week !

Can you legally do your own kit ?

i done the course but failed (well they tell you not yet competent) the practical but never went back to re-do it, i was told on the course you could not do your own kit and you would need someone else in the company with the ticket so you could do there kit and they do yours, Jamie i done it through SAC in Lanark.

i done the course but failed (well they tell you not yet competent) the practical but never went back to re-do it, i was told on the course you could not do your own kit and you would need someone else in the company with the ticket so you could do there kit and they do yours, Jamie i done it through SAC in Lanark.

sorry but you can, though there is a clause that the inspection should be done without 'fear or favour' and this could be taken that if you are buying your gear that you may 'favour' of not failing it, though if your an inspector why would you climb on dodgy gear.

and all that pete said too.

sorry but you can, though there is a clause that the inspection should be done without 'fear or favour' and this could be taken that if you are buying your gear that you may 'favour' of not failing it, though if your an inspector why would you climb on dodgy gear.

and all that pete said too.

cheers for the reply mate, i might go and do it again as if you can do your own kit then it would be worth while to have it, there was also talk of it having an expiry of 5year is that true?