550xp two stroke oil

tomm156

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 560XP seized using red Stihl after only a few weeks.

I now only use the Husky synthetic stuff, saw works well with standard unleaded.

Unfortunately that's no suprise. I've had them in seized with less than an hours run time because mineral oil just doesn't do the business. It's not the saws fault yet many a guy blames the machine. Evidence enough that the XP oil isn't marketing or sales rubbish. Use the right stuff and you have a reliable machine that will last after all the engine and oil were produced together and passed 1000s of hours testing.

Does it do any harm to change brand of oil in a saw after using one type for a while

Over the last 50 odd years Iv'e chopped & changed the brand of mix oil with no oil attributed failures to me it's the smaller amounts of oil in the mix that may/may not cause problems, erring south in the mix ratio would help/cure a lot of the problems, a good number of 2 smoke equipment users although there is proof from respected tuners/modders of 2 smoke motors that the more oil in the fuel mix (within reason)the harder/better it will run/perform but modern trends seems to be less is better.

Over the last 50 odd years Iv'e chopped & changed the brand of mix oil with no oil attributed failures to me it's the smaller amounts of oil in the mix that may/may not cause problems, erring south in the mix ratio would help/cure a lot of the problems, a good number of 2 smoke equipment users although there is proof from respected tuners/modders of 2 smoke motors that the more oil in the fuel mix (within reason)the harder/better it will run/perform but modern trends seems to be less is better.

[ame=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Tuning-Two-Stroke-John-Robinson/dp/075061806X/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z11WVRJ58ERMS7T7H4YX]Motorcycle Tuning: Two-Stroke: Amazon.co.uk: John Robinson: 9780750618069: Books[/ame]

From John Robinson and others, I'd read that more oil = leaner mix, so that would make sense.

I was running on a litre of fully synth Motul 2 stroke oil recently just to use it up. What a fantastic racetrack smell :D

Motorcycle Tuning: Two-Stroke: Amazon.co.uk: John Robinson: 9780750618069: Books

From John Robinson and others, I'd read that more oil = leaner mix, so that would make sense.

I was running on a litre of fully synth Motul 2 stroke oil recently just to use it up. What a fantastic racetrack smell :D

That's usually attributed to oil containing Castor or esters from Castor oil whatever the mix ratio you use it needs the carb mixture settings reset to get the correct fuel /air ratio If you're really picky on settings that could mean several times a day, if you're a little less concerned always err a tiny bit rich again the use of more oil would help towards preventing lean seizure but getting the carb setting correct is the #1 priority Back in the days of 125& 250 2 stroke Road Race/Gp bikes, tracks that required the throttle wide open for longer periods of time had more oil added to the fuel & carb/s set to suit some times the jetting would be changed between Practice, Qualifying & the Race. Finicky things these Tuned 2 smokes, if you're trying to extract max power & wish to finish the race. Most chainsaws in stock form are manufactured for reliability rater than out & out power which would require constant tinkering as with the bikes.

Can't understand someone spending all that money on a top saw then cant afford to use Aspen 2:confused1:

It may cost a few pound more but is that not worth the hassle your having with fuel cans and oil. Maybe increase prices to cover the fuel :thumbup:

Never use anything but Aspen now but im retired sort of :sneaky2:

+1 :001_smile:

N