How quickly do super dry logs take up moisture?

Woodworks

Sure it will take longer than the drying. Amazed how quick you can oven dry a log. Just a few hours and it was done.

I doubt that a few hours would have dried it to 0%

moisture migration from the centre of the log would be very slow I'd have thought, especially as the moisture content dropped the moisture conveying capacity will have dropped with it.

Perhaps the way to test that would be to get two logs of equal weight, one processed one into small kindling size to enhance its drying capacity (or thin disks might be better?)

I'm willing to bet you'd get the smaller woods dryer by quite a bit.

Still an interesting process you've got going on:thumbup:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been loading a couple of m3 onto the trailer this morning. All sitka spruce felled and processed last february and stored in a large two sided barn on the north west coast of Scotland (not the driest part of the world!} Every log tested today was between 14% and 18%. Not sure kiln dried would be any better or worse

http://www.john-mactavish.co.uk/images/wood.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this but just met the log in the shed. Now 625g

Drying has slowed dramatically so does look as if though well kiln dried logs might be dryer when the customer gets to burn them than air dried presuming the supply chain is not too slow. Not sure how much advantage you get from 15% to 20% logs though

so from 543g at 0% on 5th Feb, to 625g which I make 15.1% in 6 and a half weeks of late winter. I suspect it won't get much wetter now as the weather starts to warm up, but if the test had started earlier, say start of december, I'd guess it would of taken on water further and perhaps a little quicker.

so from 543g at 0% on 5th Feb, to 625g which I make 15.1% in 6 and a half weeks of late winter. I suspect it won't get much wetter now as the weather starts to warm up, but if the test had started earlier, say start of december, I'd guess it would of taken on water further and perhaps a little quicker.

It's been pretty wet at times here neiln. The early winter this year was relatively dry. Had more rain in the last week than all of January I think. Don't think it would have made much difference to be honest. I am sure it will go up a bit more and I will leave it for later measuring.

• 7 months later...

Just met this log again today. Sat in a covered shed all year and now 637 grammes. Forgotten how to the maths but is that 17.3%?  

Saw talk on here that logs should below 15% so we would have to kiln to meet that criteria how ever long we dried them for

Edited by Woodworks