Government proposes no MOT test for first 4 years

kevinjohnsonmbe

I think the entire motoring test process needs overhauled, both for vehicles and drivers. My missus recently passed her test only to phone me up the next day to ask how to put the petrol in, its a diesel dear! People are passed or failed on whether they can do a three point turn in an empty side road without touching the kerb, but don't need to know what fuel their car runs on, how to change a wheel, or replace the wiper blades when they stop clearing the screen. As Difflock said we have government run mot centres here in Northern Ireland but like anything government run, they're as corrupt and flawed as anything else the government does.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need checks like in I think Japan. Each year they get harder. Its the reason we get so many grey imports.

If I remember right each component is colour coded. Each year you have to change one colour. Then as the years go up its two colours or three colours. Eventually its to costly to keep it.

Edited by Justme

I still take my 1952 classic car for a test each year even though according to the rules I never need to have it tested ever again.

I worry about the insurance and being sued in case of an accident.

I am a brilliant mechanic (aren't we all!) but a man's gotta know his limitations as Clint would say. I often miss things, as does the MOT mechanic and it helps to have a second opinion

Perhaps a full test every 2 years and a quick appraisal in between for modern cars

One thing that has always amazed me is that you can pass an MOT with an inaccurate or non working speedo. Unless your speedo is within 10% accurate then you are at the mercy of any speed camera

Perhaps a fairer way would be the ability to only issue a 6 month certificate on an older vehicle that has been clearly patched up for test or even one that has had a bad failure history

To be perfectly honest the MOT is worthless anyway. Ignores a lot of the vehicle, does t include all legal aspects of roadworthiness and is only for items as seen at the time of test.

Anyone thinking an Mot pass means that car is I good condition should read the manual more closely.

We need checks like in I think Japan. Each year they get harder. Its the reason we get so many grey imports.

If I remember right each component is colour coded. Each year you have to change one colour. Then as the years go up its two colours or three colours. Eventually its to costly to keep it.

What's the benefit of that in the UK? I gather here some brands are far more likely to fail than others so why treat a car that's badly made and likely to fail one of it's first few tests (or all!) the same as one that's well made and is very likely to be several years old before anything is going to fail?

What's the benefit of that in the UK? I gather here some brands are far more likely to fail than others so why treat a car that's badly made and likely to fail one of it's first few tests (or all!) the same as one that's well made and is very likely to be several years old before anything is going to fail?

You do know that they make some of the most reliable cars available?

The benefit is safer cars on the road.