Strength of log splitter

tractor dave

Hi all,

I've just started building a vertical log splitter, i've made the main frame, but i'm starting to get worried that the rotating table is not strong enough. The table is 600mm in diameter and 10mm thick, it is supported on 6 ball bearings in a piece of box in the centre. I expect the splitter to produce about 9.6 tons of force. Do you think it will break? I have thought of putting steel under the part where the blade will concentrate the pressure so to reduce the risk of the table bending? Any suggestions/ideas would be very welcome.

Cheers

Dave.

splitter1.5.jpg.3d4ca52e13f03e2b50ed1e1ce9fa3442.jpg

splitter2.5.jpg.d97c3c7bb8661526369a654f0c0cd46f.jpg

:thumbup1:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes It will bend. I really like your idea though, is it for long billets?

There is a nylon block available which is impregnated with oil, It would probably resist a fair amount of compression, you could mount it directly under the blade.

I had a dabble at making a rotating table which was by and large successful but in the scheme of things it was easier to turn the log with a pulp hook.

Anyhow, this is what I came up with.

In order to stop the turntable bending (yes I do think a bit of 10mm will bend) I decided it would be best if it went flat to the plate underneath. To do this sourced some 18mm dia steel balls and made bearing cups for them from round PTFE. These I set in a tube with a valve spring at the bottom and a bolt to adjust the height. They were then set into the table in such a manner with the “bollies” protruding about two thirds of their height. The turntable sat on the bollies and was centred by a spindle welded to the underside.

When the log was on the turntable the sprung bollies kept the arrangement turntable but when the blade came down it pushed the bollies and springs down allowing the plate to go flat to the base. When the blade went up the springs lifted the table. To work well the turntable needs to overlap the support marginally to stop bits getting under and the bearings need to be well lubed.

Andy

You can buy the bollie rollers but a cursory look of what was available only found “lightweight” ones so I made my own. A better look may reveal something off the shelf.

Over the years I have made many splitters of many sizes. There is one I made over 10 years ago still going strong with a steel on steel slider. Don’t get too precise with the slider unless you are trying to prove a point otherwise, it’s “agricultural tolerance” time.

If you are gong to put a low friction lining in use brass rather than Nylon or PTFE, both of which would probably not enjoy the experience.

Personally I would use steel on steel and make sure it gets plenty of grease.

Do you have a blade yet? I have several metres of boron steel (the stuff they make digger bucket edges from) ready machined. Boron gives good durability and something intended to be scrapped across a yard floor hardly knows it’s doing wood. It also welds with plain MIG/TIG or MMA

I was thinking maybe I could make the bearing sprung so they move below the blocks when the pressure is applied?!?!

I was going to go for steel on steel as its simple and should wear slowly! I was tempted to put some grease nipples on, but they may get damaged.

Funny you should say that, i've got two leading edges that i'm going to weld together and add two pieces of angle to help the splitting! Have to put some heat into it to make it strong enough!

• 1 month later...