Hitting a parked vehicle and not leaving details

kevinjohnsonmbe

• 1 month later...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Over 2 months on, the van is back from the body shop after the other party admitted liability, after I had insisted the police re-interview the witnesses after they had initially decided not to proceed to prosecution.

So, it's fixed and the cost has been passed to the other parties insurer.

The "investigation" is currently with the Collisions Sergeant awaiting a decision on wether a prosecution is likely.

I spent a bit of time the other day analysing and number crunching the diary entries for all of the admin and travel I'd incurred as a result of sorting all of this out.

It surprised me to see the totals when all the many hassles, phone calls and travelling was totted up.

4 hours on the phone (9%), 2 hours on correspondence (4%), 21 hours on travel (52%)(includes time at garages), 14 hours 'other' (34%.)

With costings applied @ £25/hr for time, £.50 per minute (outgoing) phone calls and £.50 per mile for travelling this comes in at £1353.47 as uninsured losses.

I've written to the other party and invited them to settle in full by 16:00 6 Mar 17. If they choose not to it'll go to County Court for recovery action.

Be interesting to see how it pans out....

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Claim filed online @ https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online £70 fee, quite straight forward process.

"Notice of Issue" received from County Court Business Centre. The respondent has until 25 Mar 17 to reply.

Respondent's options:

(1) Pay in full

(2) File an acknowledgement of Service (this provides 28 days from date of service to file a defence)

(3) Dispute the whole claim (I have to wait for receipt of the defence case)

(4) Admit that all the money is owed (I have to wait for admission form and ask Court to make a judgement)

(5) Admit that part of the money is owed (I have to wait for receipt of the defence case and decide what to do next)

(6) Not reply at all (I ask the Court to make a judgement)

Stat's detailed in post 42 increase with each action / reaction that occurs so running total increases with each administrative task....

Next update at or around 25 Mar 17.

I'll post details of the outcome (wether it's favourable or not) so that anyone suffering a similar set of circumstances might be able to follow the process and recoup lost pennies, or, if it all goes pair shaped, know not to bother!

:thumbup1:

My daughters car was hit on early Tuesday night /Weds morning

e36b0e5287c01f332ddbee0f587c2925.jpg

Neighbours heard a noise around 12.30-1am but didn't look out. Whoever did it cleared up any mess as the wing mirror, food handle and wheek arch were no where to be seen.

Daughter found this car parked around the corner

c91e96b508e7d1f6761109631aac4d2a.jpg

Haven't found the owner yet. All reported to the police, and still waiting for them to see the owner. Any evidence will be disappearing while we wait...

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk

You could also leave a note on the windscreen saying " you hit my car last night. Call me with your insurance details. It has been reported to police. It is a criminal offence not reporting an accident to police within 24 Hours. " And leave your number. Add as much detail to the note as you can. Reg. Colour. Make of both cars ,Accident location and time and date. Take a pic of the note . And a pic of the note on the car.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Arbtalk mobile app

My daughters car was hit on early Tuesday night /Weds morning

e36b0e5287c01f332ddbee0f587c2925.jpg

Neighbours heard a noise around 12.30-1am but didn't look out. Whoever did it cleared up any mess as the wing mirror, food handle and wheek arch were no where to be seen.

Daughter found this car parked around the corner

c91e96b508e7d1f6761109631aac4d2a.jpg

Haven't found the owner yet. All reported to the police, and still waiting for them to see the owner. Any evidence will be disappearing while we wait...

Tree Surgeon - Woking | Cormack Tree Care Ltd

Barstewrd!

That looks like £800+ min in repairs plus claim penalty on renewal if you can't get liability (plus all the hassle, admin and time to get things sorted.)

Hope you get 'em to fess up and sort it. Because the 'ker that hit mine didn't, they are now facing prosecution and recovery of uninsured losses.

Best of luck!

Take paint samples from each car. Video doing it and put them in marked clean food bags ,seal and sign across the tape. A bit of blue and white from each car. If the insurance get funny tell them you want the paint analyzed for comparison. Could help in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Arbtalk mobile app

Cheers. Got to find the car again first. It's gone for the time being.

Interestingly my daughter took her far to a local garage to get the wheels checked as driving home from Bournemouth later. She told the garage what happened and they said the Peugeot was in there yesterday having a clutch changed. Police have been updated.

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk