Need to hire a 3 Furrow Plough...

Jonny Burch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening all

I'm after a plough to either hire/buy to plough a 40 acre field for a customer of mine! (Yes, using the Mog)

Can anyone give me firm that hire them out preferably please??

Many thanks

Jonny

Sorry cannot help with the plough but unless money is no object I wouldn't plough, but has a residual herbicide been used?

The ground is weed free from the growing of the maize, so the only reason for ploughing is to bury the stubble, I think I'd just disc it, broadcast a paddock mixture and roll.

Flailing in the spring to tiller the grass once it's firmly rooted will deal with the stubble that’s still sticking up.

Wouldn't risk your mog! Tyres will get shredded if you work in furrow.. surely the plough purchase will outweigh any profit for the job..

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Has he says in the Thread , it's his Toy and he wants to have a crack at ploughing and promised the customer.

I have not done any ploughing in 10 years and miss it so I understand where he is coming although it's his first time.

I think profit is his last thing he is thinking about lol .

Ste

I understand the toy thing. But speed designed machines. Moms and fastracs seldom seen ploughing unless it's demos to show it's a Swiss Army knife.

Personally I'd either disc it or drag it with a chisel plough(bomford) or similar.

Hope you have fun and any breakdowns are not too expensive. Tackle replacement parts can soon add up. On a plough not bothering with points can make it harder work and cause needless wear on landsides etc.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I understand the toy thing. But speed designed machines. Moms and fastracs seldom seen ploughing unless it's demos to show it's a Swiss Army knife.

Personally I'd either disc it or drag it with a chisel plough(bomford) or similar.

Hope you have fun and any breakdowns are not too expensive. Tackle replacement parts can soon add up. On a plough not bothering with points can make it harder work and cause needless wear on landsides etc.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I totally get where everyone is coming from and all advice is taken onboard. Customer wants me to do it but... if it isn't going to plan then we hire in tractors etc. I've farming mates that are here also so there's no chance of me cocking it up! I'll probably never do this again so I couldn't turn down the challenge!

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 2 months later...