Too many tree surgeons?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?

• Far too many; so much competition I can barely survive!
    • Not too many but don't need any more!
    • Could do with a few more to be honest!
    • Nowhere near enough. So much wood and so little expertise!

I find one stop courses and cheap finance allowed alot of small firms to pop up over the last 5 years.

Truck on tick, chipper on tick, no experience and off they go underpricing left right and centre. Some survived, many damaged established business.

TCD - I heard that recently when talking with a contractor, they can't get machine operators or saw men for oversized material.

I think it's more like quantity over quality myself.

When people used to ask what you did for a living i'd usually get a supprised response, or "whats a tree surgeon do??".

Now it's more like "oh, my mate does that, he's got a van and a bit o rope"

There are still a lot of folks who are ignorant of the difference between a time served arborist and a man who'll "have a go" for £60 less or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few really good, profesional firms out there, but from what i've seen out and about they seem outnumbered by the tracky bottom wearing cheaper than him brigade.

there wasnt a choice that i wanted to pick tbc, sorry. every town has dozens of sparks, joiners, plumbers etc. so why not tree surgeons. everyone has to find their own niche in the market. i have changed my techniques and work goals dramatically in last 4 months, now rather than having big kit sitting about hardly working i have smaller kit, and empty yard and work coming out of my ears. but then look at huck, he has toys from a transformers movie and spends every day sectioning big trees. he covers a large area and had months of work ahead of him and is doing above average. i think the 3ton tipper brigade with 6 inch tow behind and 3 guys in the cab are really struggling from what i can gather. i have always averaged 2k a week for the last 7 years. when i was working 2 days a week with casual guys and big kit it was fine, because i would have the day planned very carefully and do a lot in a day. but now i work 5 days with little gloria, take nothing off site and still turn the same money. the way i see it just now for me is that i am treading water, picking away at my little domestic jobs while all the companies that appeared in the last few years all squabble over the bigger jobs for peanuts are dropping like flies.