Potus ???

TimberCutterDartmoor

Next POTUS?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Next POTUS?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump

Hey Vesp!

What about just simply returning to set precedents that worked just fine n dandy?

Like only trading with countries whose standards either met or exceeded our own?

Protecting the rights of a countries lowest strata of citizens just as zealously as the highest?

Instead sellin their livelihoods overseas n borders for pennies on the dollar?

How friggin far in debt do we have to be before you staunch conservatives determine cutting taxes is counterproductive n suicidal in terms of solving our fiscal woes?

Jomoco

Can't say theres much there I don't agree with..

Now if we can just get back to a Euro USA plus trading alliance... everyone will be happy.. perhaps not the Mexicans, still, that'd be their problem..

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excuse the jumping backwards and forwards between UK / US, but I'm applying (my) UK logic to express my interpretation of the US situation - may be appropriate, maybe not but it's all I have so that's what I'll use.

Take it in 2 parts Mull,

Take the second part first - Are our politicians constrained through decades of peer mimickery promotions and institutionalised routine which acts as a disincentive to initiative and non-conformist manoeuvrability?

Do I believe that - yes, absolutely. It's an endemic, systemic affliction of the Public Sector. Just a quick example off the top of my head, take Jacob Rees-Mogg (no really, take him....) One of the smartest and most capable of MPs but no cabinet position - why, because he is non-conformist, too smart and considered a potential threat to superiors rather than a lap dog to be promoted and controlled.

And then, has Trump achieved his current position through climbing the political ladder of compromise, double deals, butt kissing and brown nosing? No. So his thinking is not constrained by that career path / system.

Nobody has a clue what Trump will be like..... Not sure I totally agree, it is becoming clearer with each passing day.

Yes Kevin, I get the establishment thing and agree, but to just accept, nay, champion, the first " unknown quantity"(be that Trump or brexit) to come along is being a bit silly is it not?

Can't say theres much there I don't agree with..

Now if we can just get back to a Euro USA plus trading alliance... everyone will be happy.. perhaps not the Mexicans, still, that'd be their problem..

Sadly I am pretty certain that you have no clue about the damage that has been done to the US economy over the last 10 years. The trading alliances that have existed prior to the TPP, other trade agreements have served the economies of like minded countries for many years. Mexico, Canada are two of the largest

trading partners with the USA. Making the statement about Mexico and it being their problem indicates to me a gross misunderstanding of macro economics and a fundamental lack of economics in general.

easy-lift guy

So's being an independent sovereign nation now a bad thing Ted?

Sell out your fellow American citizens livelihoods for a few pesos, eh amigo?

Jomoco

Not tonight, not ever. No point baiting me into an economics debate by attempting to tie national sovereignty and aledging my selling out American citizens livelihood for another countries currency.

easy-lift guy

Take the second part first - Are our politicians constrained through decades of peer mimickery promotions and institutionalised routine which acts as a disincentive to initiative and non-conformist manoeuvrability?

Do I believe that - yes, absolutely. It's an endemic, systemic affliction of the Public Sector. Just a quick example off the top of my head, take Jacob Rees-Mogg (no really, take him....) One of the smartest and most capable of MPs but no cabinet position - why, because he is non-conformist, too smart and considered a potential threat to superiors rather than a lap dog to be promoted and controlled.

Jeremy Corbyn?

Yes Kevin, I get the establishment thing and agree, but to just accept, nay, champion, the first " unknown quantity"(be that Trump or brexit) to come along is being a bit silly is it not?

I don't see it as that much of an unknown - Trump as PODUS or Brexit.

Trump (just like Obama) has ideological changes as head mark ambitions for his term(s) in office.

And, just like Obama, he will not be able to unilaterally impose his will without checks & controls. Obama had flagship policies which he was determined to implement but failed to achieve: close GTB, impose restrictions of gun ownership etc and in a very similar vain, so does Trump. (I'm not suggesting Trump's aspirations are correct and Obama's were flawed - just saying that whatever the presidential aspiration might be, it doesn't always come to pass and as such, I don't feel that which might be perceived as radical (from either perspective) should necessarily be feared.

And as such, I don't see it as that much of an unknown - what we DO know, is that he won't be able to deviate too far from that which Senate will sanction - so not a drastic unknown really.

And briefly on Brexit, the EU "project" has eaten itself and is on the verge of implosion regardless of Brexit.

A curse on the house of all Bremoaners and a double curse on the political class of Bremoaners:

Strike down upon them with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to Bremoan my brothers.