Pallet Wood / NAILS!!!!

Logged On

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually run them through the bench saw (metabo tks) avoiding the nailed areas doesn't take long much quicker than a chainsaw and you can get nail eater blades I think from evolution power tools if you are worried about hitting the odd nail.But the amount of timber you get out of them I think they are seriously hard work if they are in good nick there are plenty of pallet dealers who would probably give you something for them ?

The blocks are NOT :thumbup1: the pressd chip type blocks, but proper wood 'cubes'...

I say 'pallets' though, but they've actually been packing crates from the Nissan factory. They carried the wings, bonnets, doors, boots etc. Any large panel type sections.

So they've been really 'made to measure'.....

Any idea the cost of those Terrasaur blades, looks a possible option...??

The blocks are NOT :thumbup1: the pressd chip type blocks, but proper wood 'cubes'...

Yeah, but still where the nails are, right?

Also, if any of your customers have the riddling type bottom grate in a woodburner they won't thank you for selling them nails that jam the bars -- just a thought.

Why bother? I can't see how breaking up pallets can make anyone money. If it's kindling you want, I've stacks of cedar edgings (mostly small stuff) at £18 a tonne. Need to break up a lot of pallets to get a tonne!

Could maybe sell them to the guy in the "crap kindling machine" video, I'll bet he'd be delighted.

Yeah, but still where the nails are, right?

Also, if any of your customers have the riddling type bottom grate in a woodburner they won't thank you for selling them nails that jam the bars -- just a thought.

A customer wants the wood for outside fire pits at his restaurant ....

And I burn the pallet wood too in our multi fuel...

When it's time to clean out, I've got a big magnet that I run through the ash before cleaning. The ash then goes on the garden and into the chicken run without the worry of the nails....

There's a chap in Norwich who sells a BRILLIANT pallet breaking bar. I can find my old sales email if anybody is interested.

With the bar, you can strip the planks off WHOLE in no time at all, and then saw them (or use the planks for bodge-work) easily.

About £40-50 and mine has paid for itself a thousand times over.