Simple things wrongly diagnosed

WeFixIt

Like in ALL trades, there are some who do actually think they know what they are doing and some who do know what they are doing!

And maintaining that relationship with you local dealer who does is the key to after sales service, internet purchases maybe financially beneficial initially but paying a few more pennies when buying gains you a pdi, a installation, initial maintenance advise and a after sales point of contact for back up when things go wrong (and we all know they will sooner or later!)

Find your local good dealer, help support them and they will support you! Team work wins!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old Ranger had an intermittent starting fault, nothing serious just clicked on the key now and then before catching.

Owners forum said key switch is known fault, but local garage would hear none of it and put new starter on. 6 months later got worse so back it went, this time they confidently put a starter relay on.

And then it got quite bad so they put a big 5 year battery on. Then it got even worse, again I suggest key switch but this time they put a 'genuine 'starter goes on ( wouldn't be warranty as over a year now).

Then stops and won't start at all, just clicks. Now they think yes it may be ignition switch. Has been trouble free now for years.

Nissan pick up keeps loosing power , feels like fuel starvation . Change all fuel filters , clean injectors , service injector pump . Actual problem Worn tip on the neutral position switch . Gob a blob of weld on and re profile ( cost pence ) or buy a new switch ( £68 )

A mate once asked me to see what the problem was with with his discovery, the rear suspension was really bouncy, he thought it might be something to do with the shock absorbers......took a look, yep defiantly a shock problem-there wasn't one! Must have rusted/fallen off!

Had an issue with my chipper, rollers would stop on infeed, reverse would be fine. Took it to a dealer to look at, told it needed new box, loom and stress feed fitting 2K+, would rather get a new machine at that, took it back and got a guy who works on my diggers when I have issues to have a look, just a bad earth, sorted it and a few other gremlins for £70, gave him £100, big relief and big saving.

To be fair, even though dealers can misdiagnose, so can others.

I often get machines brought in complete with a diagnosis which in most cases is wrong.

It usually goes something like this " I have had someone, who is an aircraft engineer and knows about these things look at it and he says its the timing ( coil, carb or whatever)." They are usually wrong.

The thing is, if the person who looked at and gave his diagnosis is so flipping clever why is he not repairing it? Why has it come to me to fix?

I always ignore the experts diagnosis and start afresh, or I can waste time chasing the wrong fault.

To be fair, even though dealers can misdiagnose, so can others.

I often get machines brought in complete with a diagnosis which in most cases is wrong.

It usually goes something like this " I have had someone, who is an aircraft engineer and knows about these things look at it and he says its the timing ( coil, carb or whatever)." They are usually wrong.

The thing is, if the person who looked at and gave his diagnosis is so flipping clever why is he not repairing it? Why has it come to me to fix?

I always ignore the experts diagnosis and start afresh, or I can waste time chasing the wrong fault.

Yes, fully agree, Stihl 066, stripped a bit and diagnosed by the fella as low compression......measured 160psi, ended up being the central sparkplug electrode had broken and was touching the earth electrode:001_rolleyes: Another expert!!!