Low profile chain and bar?

markieg31

Wasn't that sort of hit more of a loving rub

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

I wasn't entirely convinced by my own theory to be honest :001_smile:

I hit a stainless round head screw in a tree (that I'd put there maybe 15 years ago:001_rolleyes:) that knocked a cutter clean off and cracked the tie strap but the bar/sprocket was, and still is, fine.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oki steve thanks , and thats cut faster . ? So how many difference mm?

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

They should cut faster but worth keeping in mind they aren't as strong; the bar is going to be more prone to flexing & because the chain links are smaller they may be more prone to snapping/ losing teeth.

cheers, steve

p.s.... not sure on the mm difference in dimensions, a bit narrower!

Edited by SteveA

? So how many difference mm?...

I'm still not sure if we're discussing Narrow Kerf .325 chains (Oregon type 95) or 3/8 LoPro in this thread.

Anyway, I'm guessing 3/8LP.

3/8 LoPro is generally .050 (1.3mm) guage, a completely different beast to regular 3/8, smaller in all the critical dimensions. It's also available in .043 guage (1.1mm), but that's really aimed at the smaller saws,top handles and pole saws.

325 narrow kerf (oregon 95) has a guage of 1.3mm too, and the cutters are narrower than regular 325, purportedly giving a 15% "faster cut". That's a bit meaningless IMO, the real benefit is that with the 40-50cc saws there's a bit less drag and you can keep the revs where you want them more easily and that's where the speed benefit comes from.

Typically at those power levels you'll be using a bar no longer than 18", so being a little thinner rigidity isn't an issue for most. The 15" Sugi bar supplied with my Echo 390 is very stiff, and of course a fair bit lighter (625g) and another 230g for the chain is a useful weight saving.

Well it the chain is good but unfortunately the nose sprocket has broken up on the sugi bar! Didn't even last a month!! Perhaps I should have stuck with oregon!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Sorry to hear that. These do seem to fail prematurely before their time - from warranties we have worked out around 0.3 t - 0.4% of all Sugi bars sold. This is around the same return rate we get for Stihl and Oregon bars.

When greasing the only thing to remember is that if there is excess grease in the nose run the saw very slowly initially to allow it to clear. This excess grease causes massive friction. It can also have a hydraulic effect on the bearing.

This is probably the main cause of nose failure and why in some ways it is safer and easier to not grease regularly or even at all.

:)