Timber for new stairs

Coin

Going at a new stairs in the house here, but not sure what wood to use.

Have used elm and oak already in the room on doors so anything to match it is good, it's a very rustic style overall so we get away with imperfections.

I'm toying with using 6x6 timbers for the main columns and posts. Do you think Douglas fir or western red cedar could be suitable for this type of indoor project?

My budget is quite tight so isn't going to stretch to elm or oaks or any reclaimed timbers this time but I want something that's a little different with nice character and I don't want red real.

Any ideas?

I just find that cedar or Douglas have a nicer colour to them really is all. I'm just familiar of seeing it used internally on stairs etc.

If there's a fairly cheap alternative that has nice timber characters, I am of course open to any suggestions. I'm from Ireland so I reckon sourcing any timber in U.K. wont be an option unfortunately.

Hi,

Just for follow up, I managed after countless phone calls to track down some really nice Douglas fir.

Got 6x6 inch and 16ft lengths for my 11ft ceilings. Timber has lovely waney edges as well which is just what I wanted and 269€ for 6x lengths!!

When it's all done I'll post up some photos for your critique!

Thanks for the help!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Delving back into the knowledge on the forum. So I have the straits in place but trying to sort out finishes now.

The Douglas Fir uprights and posts are all oiled with danish oil. The waney edges look really well I have to say.

I had to use red deal for the threads/risers to save money.

My question is, what type of finish could I use to best blend with the douglas? I don't want to use dyes/stains/varnishes. I had thought of lightly burning with a blow torch and then using danish oil?