Malta for a short break, about a week say

difflock

Malta has a draw for me after living there as a kid in the 60's and having one of my honeymoons there! Not blessed with endless beaches but it does have a couple, then there is Peter's Pool etc. Fascinating history with everything from prehistoric temples and cart tracks right upto to second world war. Architecture of Valletta, Mdina and Mosta with their history is worth taking in and you might catch some of the festivals and firework displays too. Worth getting a hire car and doing your own thing! Watch glass blowing as it happens, see some of the life and experience the local driving techniques! go for it!

Some people have said that it is cramped, scruffy and dirty - try London was my response!

I like Malta, its my kind of place

Its a bit on the rocky side, not much in the way of sandy beaches

Good history and ceremony, the firing of the noon day gun is worth seeing

Get a day trip on the catamaran to Sicily for a trip up Mount Etna (Pack a fleece, its cold on that hill)

Food is what you can get here with a nod to the North African. The local specialty is rabbit but the example they served me was more ferret fodder than plump coney

Wor daughter and a friend arrive there this evening, i.e. Malta, to backpack about the hostels, booked flight only at short notice with a very sensibally priced Easyjet ticket direct from Aldergrove=Belfast International.

And pre-booked hostel for the first couple of nights.

I have asked her to look out for suitable Hotel Accomodation for us-uns, to follow on behind.

Senior Managment claims to remember the island from her fathers Army posting some 50 year ago.

It may have changed a bit!

And, Yes, I would intend to hire a car.