Moving an established hedge..?

benedmonds

I have a client who wants to move two 32m long leylandii hedges about 2m.

My initial response was to fell and replant, but they need the replanted hedges to be instant... The cost of instant hedging is not cheap so I thought it might be possible to move the current ones and still come in cheaper them the fell and replant..

Has anyone done any thing similar? they basically want to move the hedges closer to the drive..

5976746f7e055_walnutmanor6.jpg.9817ced64f4c7c79df06fe4a2c531aed.jpg

I've seen some roadside hedges being moved via bulldozers. They 'doze through the soil so it carries most of the roots and then tidy up the earthy bank and any exposed roots by adding topsoil. Works very well if you have clear access.

Maybe bulldoze the houses to make room for bulldozing the hedges.....

cheers, steve

I've moved some decent sized leylandii, they died after two years.

People always bleat on about instant hedges, truth is they don't "need" an instant hedge. They'd like one.

Don't get caught up in it. Quote removal and replant.

In this instance they do "need" the hedge as they are buying the strip of land containing the hedge on the condition that the hedge is moved/replaced like for like...

I agree it is a waste of money and a waiting for a smaller hedge to establish is a far better plan but if instant hedging is what is needed for the deal to go though, and they are willing to pay the price I am willing to find the best solution...