Tinnitus

Martyn Honey

Hi everyone

Now nearly 60 I have been suffering from the above for a few years.

Started tree work in the early seventies, at the age of 14 working part time and school holidays. No earmuffs etc until I was about 18-19.

My wife started moaning about having the TV to loud and went for a hearing test and was told it's not to bad!

Also I can't hear conversations in a noisy pub.

I have a constant sound of static, all the time and sometimes ringing. I was told Tinnitus and they can't do anything about it.

I was wondering how many other Arbtalkers are having the same problem and have had the same diagnosis?

Martyn

Hi everyone

Now nearly 60 I have been suffering from the above for a few years.

Started tree work in the early seventies, at the age of 14 working part time and school holidays. No earmuffs etc until I was about 18-19.

My wife started moaning about having the TV to loud and went for a hearing test and was told it's not to bad!

Also I can't hear conversations in a noisy pub.

I have a constant sound of static, all the time and sometimes ringing. I was told Tinnitus and they can't do anything about it.

I was wondering how many other Arbtalkers are having the same problem and have had the same diagnosis?

Martyn

Late Forties, suffered with Tinnitus for a few years. Different to yourself mine was caused, (I think) through using Jack Hammers, Road Breakers with no ear protection. I have the constant static sound, and some times get a loud screaming noise in my left ear. Doctor says nothing can be done.

I have a constant hiss evenly in both ears . During the day with all the ambient noise I don't notice it ( unless I consciously try ) Its when I try to sleep it becomes apparent more . 64 by the way .

I've been on saws for forty years. Also from school spent a few years in a tractor cab running all day at pto speed (non Q cab).

I have had a constant high humming for a long time. By flexing neck muscles I can also induce a completely different sound too....weird!

I have a constant hiss evenly in both ears . During the day with all the ambient noise I don't notice it ( unless I consciously try ) Its when I try to sleep it becomes apparent more . 64 by the way .

That's right, as soon as it's mentioned it becomes very noticeable , damn thread.

BTW mines a high pitched ring more prominent in left ear, about 6kHz but I passed my railway medicals with it for 8 years.

I think the moral in this, is not wearing ear protection at an early age!

I always wore ear protection since my first powered saw in 1974 (Husky 165r still have it and leather harness) but there are a couple of problems, I have always worn glasses which makes the seal less effective and early muffs weren't much good for heavy machinery and chippers.

I think I'd suggest anyone wearing glasses use ear plugs as well as muffs.