Revising Firewood Prices

farmer_ben

Ive spent the evening tinkering with my prices and have finally settle at what im going to charge for this coming winter (would of liked to have finalised it a month ago but never had a chance).

3 years of no price rises but finally bit the bullet and upped them. Ive also decided to implement 3 scales of firewood offered, time will tell if it works and if the extra hassle is worth it.

If we have a long cold winter and all the cheap as chips boys run out early, could be a good season for me :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive spent the evening tinkering with my prices and have finally settle at what im going to charge for this coming winter (would of liked to have finalised it a month ago but never had a chance).

3 years of no price rises but finally bit the bullet and upped them. Ive also decided to implement 3 scales of firewood offered, time will tell if it works and if the extra hassle is worth it.

If we have a long cold winter and all the cheap as chips boys run out early, could be a good season for me :)

Don't be shy Ben!.....what are the three scales of firewood.....And at what price per cube?

Economy - timber that doesnt cost me much (sw, pop, willow etc) from 85cube.

Stove mix (right good mix of most timber) from 100cube

Premium (the better hw I can my hands on) from 120cube

Something alongs thoses lines simon.

Have been £100 1.2 cube of hw for 3 yrs, we will see how it goes.

Well done for raising the game.:thumbup1:

It should be more Ben!.....£120 a cube for Premium hardwood!............If I could get that return I'd be buying in kiln dried.

It should be more Ben!.....£120 a cube for Premium hardwood!............If I could get that return I'd be buying in kiln dried.

Not sure I quite understand simon?

I didnt say premium hw ie just ash...ill market the load as a premium load. Containing just hw.

Im happy to raise around 20%. If I loose a few customers then so be it, ill still make more money then previous years for same amount of work. Dont want to price myself out of the game completely (which im sort of nervous I will be anyway!)

we cant get anywhere near that down here

not if u want to sell in big volume anyway

£90 1.3 cube this yr and already getting old customers going elsewhere cos they think too dear!!!

cant believe u trying to knock me down on bulker load my softwood which contains willow, poplar and I noticed today small amount hardwood ??

£90 1.3 cube this yr and already getting old customers going elsewhere cos they think too dear!!!

cant believe u trying to knock me down on bulker load my softwood which contains willow, poplar and I noticed today small amount hardwood ??

Cant say I am to bothered about big volumes, I am just not tooled up for it. There will always be people giving it away, either through ignorance or able to do so by getting their timber at low costs, maybe growing it or arb arisings.

£90 for 1.3 cube = about £75 a cube, buying in cord at £55 a ton then there is just no money at all in that. I would rather just sell a lower volume of a premium product at a price that generates a decent return. I am to old to be charging round the countryside half the night for no money having already done an 8 hour day in the showroom.

It does occur to me that perhaps a lower price combined with a realistic delivery charge may encourage local buyers. I sell quite a bit at 10 miles + away. Crated kiln dried for me will while the pound is strong form a part of my stocks for mid/late winter at least this time. Have had 2 new customers order recently purely from how the crates look in another customers garage.

I am surprised Nick at the prices in your area, its one of the richer areas of the country. I know of at least one stove dealer down you way who sells at full retail, take it or leave it. He says people in the area are time poor, they are so busy making money in London they don't have time to go fishing round for better prices. Suspect your customers may be retired so have all the time in the world.

A

Cant blame me for asking the question Nick!